Chapter 8

Six months later...

"Why are you bouncing around like a frog?"

Abhiraj stopped his movement and glared at his cousin, Aadhya. He had come to his aunt's house for dinner.

"What? I am just asking you a question. You have been jumping around since the time entered the house. So, it's natural for me to ask the question." Aadhya said in an innocent tone.

"He is suffering from loveria, Aadhu." Ankita entered the living room with her father by her side.

Abhiraj's glare softened as he looked at Ankita, who was trying to suppress a giggle. "It's not loveria," he protested, but the blush creeping up his neck betrayed him.

Aadhya tilted her head, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Then what is it? You can tell us, Abhi. We're family."

Before Abhiraj could respond, his uncle, Harsh, who had been quietly observing the scene, spoke up. "Let the boy be. He's just excited about something, aren't you, Abhiraj?"

"Of course, he is, dad. He is excited about meeting his crush after a long time." Ankita giggled giving Abhiraj a teasing look.

Harsh's eyes narrowed playfully at Ankita's comment, and he turned to Abhiraj with a knowing smile. "Is that so? Well, excitement is good. Seems like we will soon be attending the grand royal marriage."

"Mausa ji (Uncle)!! Stop please." Abhiraj whined. "I am not getting married. Not before my brother."

"Well then you will die single." Pooja said looking at her nephew, exiting the kitchen and making her way towards them.

The room erupted in laughter at Pooja's remark, and even Abhiraj couldn't help but crack a smile. "I will be finding a best wife for him. You all just wait." He retorted with a daring look.

"You will get old, Abhiraj. Everyone knows he is not interested in relationships and marriages." Aadhya said with a chuckle.

"Why don't you persuade him, maasi?" Abhiraj turned to his aunt. "You know he listens to you."

Ankita laughed loudly as she heard those words. "Listen to her? You seriously think he listens to mom? Your brother is his own person, Abhiraj. The crown prince of Rajasthan listens and bows to no one and everyone knows that. But, let's get back to the original topic." She cleared her throat before raising her eyebrows at him. "I heard Divya is working directly under the CEO. Is it because of the talent she possesses or because the CEO is head over heel for her?"

"I am not head over heels for her." Abhiraj huffed; however, the redness that glowed in his neck said otherwise.

Abhiraj's protest was met with more laughter, the warmth of family teasing enveloping him. "Talent, definitely talent," he managed to say, though his voice lacked conviction.

Aadhya, not one to let the topic slide, jumped in with a sly grin. "Oh, come on, Abhi. It's okay to admit it. Divya is quite the catch, and you two would make a power couple."

"Exactly!!!" Ankita exclaimed jumping out of the sofa she was sitting on. "I have been saying the same thing since the moment I saw her." She looked at Abhiraj. "You should thank me for choosing her for our company. Had it not been for me then you would not have fallen for such a great person and the company would not have found it's star designer."

"Yeah, you should name your first child after her." Aadhya added giving a teasing look to her cousin.

"Okay, enough teasing, girls." Harsh interjected. "Why don't you two tell me about your potential grooms?"

Ankita scowled hearing her father's words. "Don't turn this on us, dad. We are talking about his wedding."

"Woah, woah, woah." Abhiraj looked at Ankita with wide eyes. "Stop your bullet train. I have not confessed my feelings to her yet."

"Hah, so you admit that you like her, don't you?" Ankita had a huge grin as she looked at him.

Abhiraj groaned, throwing his hands up in the air. "You guys are impossible! Can I please just have a minute to figure things out on my own?"

The room fell silent, and for a moment, Abhiraj worried he'd overstepped. But then Harsh chuckled, clapping him on the back. "Alright, alright. We'll lay off... for now."

Abhiraj let out a relieved breath. "Thank you, Mausa ji."

As the night wore on, the teasing died down, replaced by warm conversation and shared stories. Abhiraj was grateful for the reprieve, though he knew it was temporary.

After dinner, as they sat in the living room, Harsh turned to him with a serious expression. "Abhiraj, can I have a word with you?"

Abhiraj's heart sank, but he nodded. "Of course, Mausa ji."

He followed his uncle to the study, closing the door behind him. Harsh gestured for him to take a seat, and then sat behind the large wooden desk.

"I know the girls were teasing you earlier," Harsh began, "but I want to have a real talk with you about Divya."

Abhiraj fidgeted in his seat, unsure of where this was going. "Yes?"

Harsh leaned back in his chair, steepling his fingers together. "We have known Divya for a while now since the design she presented, and I can see how much potential she has. She's smart, talented, and has a good heart."

"I agree," Abhiraj said, feeling a surge of defensiveness. "That's why I... why I like her."

Harsh smiled. "I'm glad to hear that. Because I think you two could be good for each other. But I want to caution you, Abhiraj. Your position... it's complicated. There will be pressures and challenges that come with dating an employee. There will be talks and people will try to jeopardize both you and her. Especially her. Can you honestly say you've thought this through?"

Abhiraj looked down at his hands, feeling a pang of uncertainty. Had he really thought this through? Or had he just been caught up in his feelings?

"I... I care about her, Mausa ji," he said finally. "And I want to make this work. But I don't know if I know how."

Harsh nodded. "That's fair. Just take some time to really consider things, okay? Think about what this could mean for Divya, for your future. And then... maybe have a talk with her. Openly, honestly. See where she stands."

Abhiraj nodded, feeling a weight settle on his shoulders. This wasn't going to be easy. But as he looked at his uncle, he knew he had to try.

The rest of the evening passed in a blur. Abhiraj put on a smile, joined in the conversation, but his mind was elsewhere. He couldn't stop thinking about his uncle's words, about the reality of his situation.

As he drove home, the city lights blurring together, he felt a sense of resolve form. He would take his uncle's advice, really think things through. And then... he would talk to Divya. Lay everything on the line and see what happened.

So, another chapter is here. How was it? Please vote and comment your views.

Love
Samm