Chapter 7

Not a walk in the park

The morning after, everyone was flocking to the Davenport family home, the garden set up with beautiful decorations of soft pinks and light blues. Teas and cakes set out for everyone to enjoy. The latest pamphlet of Lady Whistledown circulating through the crowd. People whispering excitedly. Abigail looking over the words, her hands quickly balling the paper up.

A annoyed look on her face. She thought the young women around her shouldn't be objectified in such a manner.  "Surely you are not planning on throwing that." A male voice said beside her. Abigail quickly lowered her arm and moved her hands behind her. Knowing her actions would reflect on Lady Danbury as well, normally she wouldn't care.

"Mister Bridgerton." She greeted with a deep of her head. Colin looking at her with his kind eyes. "If you had read the things this woman has written about your friend you would not mind me throwing it." She said with a simple tilt of her head.

"Jose? She is stronger then anyone else would know. She cna handle what Lady Whistledown writes about her in gossip sheets." Colin spoke with more certainty then he had before in his tone. Abigail arched her eyebrow at his defensive tone. "Very well." She started to walk away from him. "Don't I get your name?" Colin asked after her. Abigail pausing as she looked over at him. "You'll figure it out." She flashed a smile towards him.

Ambitious mamas, rejoice, for the new
Duke of Hastings continues to grace our fair
city with his presence.
And, oh, what an impressive presence is it!
It should be noted that the duke has been
overheard announcing to mamas everywhere
that he has no plans of ever marrying.
This author wonders which brazen matchmaker
shall rise to such a challenge, for this
competition is well underway.
It has reached my ears that
Mr. Colin Bridgerton shall be awarded the
year's grand prize when he sweeps
Miss Thompson off her pretty little slippered feet.
In other news, a most peculiar suitor for
Miss Daphne Bridgerton has emerged.

Phillip was a bit unsure why Delilah had invited him as the two were not that close. But he had to admit the place looked fantastic as he strolled through the garden. Making brief and polite conversation with a few of the mamas that stopped him.

Robert spotting him as he spoke to Molly, the two got along well enough as long as Robert wasn't trying to tell her what to do. His eyes trailed Phillip as he went over to where other men sat, playing a round of cards. The men laughing happily as they played.

Emilio and Phoebe were walking together, her hands folded behind her back. "What about her?" The girl asked as she looked towards a rather beautiful young woman. "No, I've heard that she is quite loose with the young men and I rather not have a woman like that." He said with a sigh. The two walked and discussed yet he seemed to turn down almost every opinion that she presented.

"If you wish for my help you must be more open." Phoebe said exhausted as she planted her hands on her hips. "Help him with what?" Delilah asked as she appeared behind them, causing Phoebe to jump slightly before she scowled in a playful manner. "I am trying to help him find a match but he's impossible." She said sassily. 

"I'm not impossible the selection you have shown me are not to my taste." Emilio replied with a soft smile curving up the edge of his lips. Delilah chuckling at the two of them, bickering playfully back and forth. "Well I shall leave the two of you to playing Match maker, I am going to greet some others." She said politely to excuse herself from the two.