Memories Of Her Past

I woke up with a start, my heart racing and my sheets drenched in sweat. The sound of my alarm blaring in my ear was a harsh reminder that it was time to get up. But as I sat up and rubbed my eyes, I realized something was off. The power was back on.

As I swung my legs over the side of the bed, memories came flooding back. Memories I had tried to suppress for years. Memories of my dad, the famous artist, and his downward spiral into alcoholism.

I remembered being 8 years old, sitting in the backseat of his car as he picked my sister and me up from school. He was supposed to take us home, but instead, he drove us to the casino. He told us it would be fun, that we could play games and win prizes. But as the night wore on, he became more and more distant, lost in his own world of addiction.

I remembered the feeling of being abandoned, left in the dark and noisy casino with my sister, while our dad gambled away our childhood. The lights would flicker and dim, and we were left alone, scared and confused.

As I got out of bed and began to get ready for the day, the memories continued to flood back. The sound of clanging slot machines and the smell of stale cigarettes filled my senses. I could almost hear my dad's slurred words, promising us that he would stop drinking, that he would be a better father.

But he never did. And as I stood in front of the mirror, brushing my hair and trying to shake off the remnants of my nightmare, I knew that I had to face the truth. My dad's addiction had left scars that would never fully heal.

The storm outside seemed to match my mood, the rain pouring down in sheets, the thunder booming in the distance. I felt trapped, like I was stuck in this never-ending cycle of pain and fear.

As I walked into the kitchen, I bumped into Cass, who was sipping a cup of coffee. "Look, like we always bumping into each other," she said with a chuckle.

But I just grunted a low-energy response, not even bothering to look up at her. I was still lost in my thoughts, still trying to shake off the memories that haunted me.

Cass seemed to sense my mood and gave me a sympathetic smile. "Hey, you okay? You look like you didn't get any sleep."

I shrugged, not really wanting to talk about it. But Cass wasn't having it. She put her hand on my arm and pulled me into a chair. "Nia, is this about yesterday? You know, with Jordyn?"

I sighed, trying to brush her off. "Cass, it's nothing. Just a bad dream, okay?"

But Cass wasn't convinced. "Nia, I know you're hiding something. And I'm not leaving until you tell me what's going on."

I looked up at her, her piercing green eyes boring into mine. And for a moment, I thought about opening up, about telling her everything. But the storm outside seemed to grow louder, and I knew I couldn't face it. Not yet, at least.

"I'm fine, Cass," I said, trying to sound convincing. "Just a bad dream, like I said. Don't worry about it."

Cass raised an eyebrow. "A bad dream that's left you looking like a ghost? You're not very good at hiding your emotions, you know."

I bristled at her comment, feeling a bit defensive. Who was she to question me, anyway? We'd only met a few times, and I barely knew her.

"Look, Cass, I appreciate your concern, but really, it's none of your business, okay?"

Cass looked at me with a curious expression, but didn't push the issue. "Okay, fine. But if you ever want to talk about it, I'm here to listen."

I nodded curtly, feeling a bit uncomfortable. I didn't want to be rude, but I didn't want to open up to someone I barely knew, either.