Chapter 16: An Angel's truth pt 2

††

Halle's pov:

"Hello, darling," he beamed, his soft smile etched with dimples.

While I could not put my finger on it, something about that smile made me feel inexplicably at ease.

"You..you came." i stammered.

"Sorry for the delay, I needed to," Ariel's words hung in the air like a thick fog, his next words dripping with a dangerous intent, "..confront someone."

"More like threaten." Arielle muttered behind him, the impish roll of her eyes punctuating her sarcastic remark.

"What," I breathed, not quite catching.

"If it isn't the great white shark." Azrael interrupted, walking towards us.

"You don't look happy to see me," Ariel retorted, his voice deep, sharp like razor.

"You don't look happy to see me either," Azrael shot back, a mocking smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

"I am here to collect what I dropped," Ariel announced his gaze catching mine again.

"Is that all?" Jules murmured, disappointment written all over her face.

Queen Talia walked down the throne aisle where she was initially sitting with Genevieve, enjoying her daughter humiliating Halle.

"Morningstar. You do know Oselis was included in your banishment, right?" Queen Talia asked rhetorically.

"Still the usual sour crap Talia?" Ariel shot back, mockingly.

"How did you get in here? where are the guards," Talia queried then turned to Arielle," "How could you let him walk in here."

"Mother!" Genevieve exclaimed, getting up her throne.

"Don't worry Talia, I didn't come here to talk usual business, or to drink tea." he clarified, both hands sliding into his pockets.

It took me this long to notice he appeared outrageously different from a night ago, no longer bruised and battered, but handsome and packed. As if being hot wasn't enough he knows just how to compliment his alpha male features. The young prince wore a black Gothic leather trench coat over a black turtle neck and black pants.

"I had a hunch you went in search of Ariel. You are not like the others, you do foolish things on behalf of your mass murderer of a brother just to prove our sweet of a person you are." Jophiel lashes at her sister.

"You bitch-," Arielle growls about to beat the hell out of her younger sister, but Azrael holds her back.

Separating the two sisters is what the brothers are used to now. The last time they fought all hell broke loose, even their father had to interfere..

I could tell from Ariel's eyes that Jophiel 's words stung him but he didn't react.

"She's totally wrong Arielle," Ariel finally mutters," so stop interfering in my matter."

"But you did all that to protect me didn't you?" I finally spoke, reading the pain in his eyes and feeling like he was hiding something.

He looked up at me, the glow in his eyes disarming me.

"No," he blurts," I didn't do all that out of the goodness of my heart or any of that crap. I did it because I owed you a debt."

"A debt?" I asked surprised at his remark and confused.

"Typical Ariel," Jophiel laughed, " He is not who you think he is...he is a fallen angel. A demon who isn't worthy of stepping into any holy place even after spiritual baptism. He only saved you because we Angels are programmed that way. If any one shows us kindness we show kindness in return and if anyone shows us mercy we show them mercy in return, and by showing him hospitality, he had a covenant on his head that he had to fulfill. That's the way it is for Angels."