⓶⓸ 『 Everfree 』

The hum of AJ's truck undulated smoothly. Her left forelimb bent cozily over the side arm rest, leaving her right free to discover fidgety activity, breezily beating her fingertips to the dashboard in a musing hand-dance. An uncharacteristic tizzy possessed the cowgirl as she observed the mundane scope through a pair of allegorical, vibrant lenses. 

     She had camped out in numerous parking lots, many times over in waits for Rain, and with each time, she'd minded not a morsel. The farmer had entwined herself in a sort of caregiving role within her friend group for as long as she could remember, but even then, she sometimes required restful intervals between being the designated driver; that is, except for when it came to the adorable idiot who managed to synthesize rainbows and athleticism. 

     The girl was a puzzle, and AJ was never bored. Just yesterday, Dashie struck her a message, offering forth an exploit; after having fulfilled her assigned chores competently and then some, AJ had acceded. She had plenty of time to spare now that the current season of studies were finalized and the commencement of her duties at the acreage could be hastened as a result. 

     A humble breeze drafted through the split in the window, influencing a single flaxen strand to tickle AJ's freckled nose. She itched the sensation with a pointer, scrunching her mossy gaze to the wheel. 

     Multiple queries adapted in the duration of the current delay. Why for instance, was she biding in a Walmart lot? The blonde poised to turn the key and silence the engine in evasion of idling, when an energy of amiable rays sent the mechanized glass of the Walmart squealing away in either direction so that the athlete could beam through. She loved being greeted with that smile; the amicable display of pearls between shameless dimples, beneath pools of quick fawn. 

     In both today and the whole of their relationship from here on out, AJ hadn't a clue where things would go. This knowing had obstructed her initially, but the intricacies of Rainbow Dash were altering. 

     The athlete's apparel evinced laziness; her legs swam in her navy shorts, and the sleeves of her black Earthquest Mustangs hoodie was pushed into wrinkles, exposing her arms from the bend of her elbow downward. She still wore her brace and boot, but paced onward without any reliance on crutches. AJ initially considered voicing her observations and coupled concerns, but in discerning the girl's seeming adroitness in steps, she thought it best to pick her battles more mindfully and take the context clues of her returning capabilities. She knew how Rain felt about fretful fussing, and she wasn't going to choke her sunny enthusiasm for the sake of a conversation with obvious predictables. 

     The nearer her gambol, the more the farmer could perceive Rain's cashings. Braced between the brunette's forearm and chest existed several wrappings of thick twine, and a black crinkling of what appeared to be a mass of tarp-like material. 

     "What in the hay is that?" quizzed AJ beneath a baffled smile. Rainbow seemed proud at the mystery of it. She responded only with a smirk as she breached the curb and emerged soon at the passenger's side, struggling open the door in her fumble of items and plopping herself to the cushioned leather. The jock let the purchases avalanche to the floor between her feet.

     Rain shuffled restlessly in her seat, robbing the clock to get comfortable, though the dynamism wasn't payed heed by the cowgirl at her side; AJ was losing herself in introspective scrutiny. The fact became feverishly apparent that she had never before been romantically involved with anyone. What was she to do? Hug her? Give her a pat on the back? Surely, she wouldn't kiss her again already upon greeting her in the lot of a rundown supermarket, would she? She did want to, though. A lot.  

     Dashie swooped her pupils up to meet AJ's, and instinctively, the cowgirl tore her own ogling away. "Where to?" she ventured, starting through the lot towards the exit.