i find myself running home to your sweet nothings

this is inspired by the cute videos and pics from that gala thing they went to in vegas (?)! enjoy :)

-

After weaving through the tables, Travis reached his seat and pulled it from the table, putting his hand on Taylor's shoulder in greeting. She didn't respond, but a presenter started talking as he sat down.

Next to him, Taylor sighed and he glanced her way. He watched the way her body was tense and she was staring off into the distance, unfocused and vacant. Leaning over slightly, he rested his fingertips on her forearm and whispered, "Tay. You okay?" Taylor offered a hollow nod, not even a glimpse in his direction.

Travis shook his head slightly, mostly to himself. The night had been going great, everyone was having a good time and it was good to have a nice night out. But, in the time it took for Travis to go to the bathroom, Taylor's energy had completely dropped. He feared that this would happen. With the album being released a week or so ago, Taylor had been a bit out of sorts for maybe a month. And this was fine at home, where the stakes were low and there were no expectations on either of them. But at this gala, she would torture herself for the sake of not disappointing anyone hoping to speak to her.

When the speaker finished, conversation in the room resumed and Travis fully turned to face Taylor. "Tay, we can leave at any time, just give me the word and we'll be outta here."

"No, it's fine," she replied, finally looking at him.

He tilted his head lovingly, "This is a bit much, yeah?"

She shook her head, reaching for her champagne.

"It's okay if it is. You can be honest with me."

Taylor kept her eyes on him as she sipped her drink, then the glass as she brought it away from her lips slowly, swallowing. "I'm getting tired, I guess-"

Suddenly, a woman was standing behind them, "Hi," she started, and Taylor snapped back into faux extrovert mode. "I hope I'm not interrupting but I just wanted to congratulate you..." she started listing off all the reasons she found Taylor so inspirational, and Travis just watched the smile plastered across Taylor's face. He almost wanted to tell the woman to leave, to tell her that she was clearly, very much interrupting.

When the woman had finally walked away, they both sighed.

"You were saying?" Travis attempted to continue the conversation from earlier.

"How much longer will this be?" she asked instead.

Travis looked around the room, "These things can go for hours," he shrugged. "I don't want to be here for much longer either."

"Just... It's fine. I can handle it." Taylor closed her eyes.

"Well, that's great, but I don't know if I can." Travis said, a mixture of honesty and a hint of a lie to get Taylor home sooner.

"Whatever, I don't mind, we can do what you wanna do." Travis could tell that Taylor's disinterested tone wasn't indicative of her being annoyed with him, she was just mentally exhausted and didn't want to talk more than necessary.

"Okay, let's get in our goodbyes before someone starts speaking again," Travis grinned cheekily, bringing the smallest of smiles onto Taylor's face as he helped her up.

They made their rounds and snuck out the door, it was a quiet walk with Taylor passively letting Travis guide her through hallways. When they got outside, a car was waiting for them and Travis helped her into the backseat with him.

As the car drove off, Taylor sunk into her seat and dropped her head in her hand, sighing shakily.

"Are you okay?" Travis frowned, reaching over to stroke her arm with the back of his fingers.