said i'm fine but it wasn't true • tw

"Of course!" Travis smiled and put his arm around a man who asked to take a picture with him.

After partaking in small talk with the man, Travis spotted Taylor in the middle of the room. She had her drink in hand, and was talking to a small group of women. He slowly weaved his way through the many people in the room, making his way over to her, and stepped closer when the conversation ended.

Taylor gasped, her eyes lighting up when she saw him. "Hey," she said softly with a smile.

"Hey babe," Travis put his arm around her waist and pulled her in. She complied easily, leaning against his body. Travis smiled to himself, rubbing circles on her back

"Are you drunk?" He whispered, bending his head down to her height.

Taylor grinned, inhaled and smacked her lips. "Nope. I am not... um," she cut herself off with a scoff and closed her eyes, shaking her head.

"Right," Travis nodded. "Should we go home?"

Taylor straightened up, pulling away. "No! Not yet, I mean, unless you want to?" she questioned.

"No, we can stay. It's up to you." If he was honest, he wanted to go home. These after parties were always fun, and he enjoyed celebrating wins, but he was tired today and part of him just wanted to relax on the couch with Taylor. Not only that, but Taylor had clearly been keen on the drinks and Travis thought it might be best for her to slow it down now. It was midnight after all. But he watched with a smile as Taylor pulled herself onto her tippy toes to give him a soft kiss, and happily skipped away to converse with more people. It was like the party scene was built just for her, he was in awe of how sociable she was and how she could hold a conversation with anyone. He didn't mind staying slightly longer if it meant that Taylor got to enjoy herself.

After half an hour had passed, Travis decided it was probably time to go. The party had already begun dwindling. Luckily, he didn't even get a chance to wonder where Taylor was because she walked right up to him. However, immediately Travis could tell something was off about her. The look on her face was subtly different compared to 30 minutes ago. The carefree and happy aura she usually carried was replaced by a subdued quietness. She forced a smile when she looked up at him.

"Hey. Ready to go?" Taylor asked, her voice too high.

"Yeah," Travis frowned. Taylor swallowed and looked to the ground, twisting the rings on her fingers. Travis was concerned, and unsure of what to do, but thought it'd be best to just get out of there. He picked up her hand and laced their fingers together, murmuring a small "come on," in an attempt to be comforting.

Taylor turned on the radio as soon as she got in Travis' car, so he took the hint and spent the first 10 minutes of the drive quietly glancing over to her in the passenger seat, hoping to catch her eye. Taylor was turned away, staring at the window. He had asked if she was okay as he put his seatbelt on, but all he got was a nod.

At a red light, Travis inhaled. "Tay."

She looked at him. "What?"

"What happened?"

Taylor paused for a moment, biting her lip, considering. She looked out the windshield, blinking quickly and her eyebrows furrowing. She gave a predictable answer. "Nothing."

Travis sighed and turned his head, "Taylor-"

"Light's green."

Travis looked forward quickly and pressed on the accelerator, tapping on the steering wheel with his thumbs. He was worried about her, and it worried him even more that she wasn't telling him what happened. He has noticed this pattern with her. She tends to keep things to herself, so as to not worry him. He hated it. And it especially didn't make any sense now, when it was obvious he could tell something was wrong and yet she still didn't want to say.