you know that my train could take you home

Travis opened his eyes and squinted at the TV screen, then glanced at the window. The sky was a gloomy blue, and wasn't much darker than when he'd last seen it, meaning he must have drifted off for no more than 5 minutes. He shifted slightly, careful to not disturb Taylor, who was lying down across his body, under his arms. He looked at the television again, frowning as he tried to figure out what was happening in the show.

Taylor had flown in that afternoon, abnormally tired (although Travis can imagine the Golden Globes being tiring), and hadn't wanted to do much. She suggested they start a random TV show she'd heard good things about from a friend, but she got quiet very soon after settling on the couch with Travis.

So now, as the sun set, Travis grimaced and stretched to grab the remote from the side table to turn off the TV. This show was not good. He let the remote fall softly onto the couch, and craned his head down to confirm his suspicions. His girlfriend was, in fact, sound asleep. His smile would've been hard to suppress. Every day with Taylor still felt somewhat like a dream. The honeymoon period that felt never ending. He just felt so fucking lucky that somehow, the universe let this happen, let him and Taylor be brought together.

He sighed contentedly and laid his head back on the couch cushion behind him. Eyeing the window once again, he began drawing small circles on Taylor's back with his palm. He wanted to give her as much rest as possible, but he also knew that the curtains needed to be drawn and dinner should be prepared at some point. Earlier, Taylor had told him she was happy to cook a quick simple dinner but now she was still asleep, despite Travis increasing the pressure of his hand moving along her back.

"Tay," he whispered, shaking her now.

-

Her sleep was so thick and heavy that waking was like struggling out of mud. She buried her head into her boyfriend's chest, hoping to block out the repeating sound of him calling her name.

"Taylor, I'm sorry baby but should get up."

Taylor just ignored him, and tried to fall back asleep. Travis' hand made its way to her head, and he pushed her hair off her face before stroking her cheek with the back of his finger.

"You're really tired, huh?" Travis spoke, softer than previously. Taylor lazily shook her head against his body. "Oh, you're not?" This time Taylor nodded. "Mmm. Okay." Taylor smiled, her eyes still closed. "I'm going to move you off me, okay?" Taylor could hear the smile in his voice.

"Mm-hmm," she murmured.

Travis sat up cautiously, holding Taylor as he slid from beneath her and let her sink into the couch where he had just been. He breathed small apologies, trying to keep her as steady as possible but Taylor's mind was catching up by this point and she felt more awake. She blinked and watched as he stood up, closed the living room curtains and left the room. Taylor cleared her throat and messily sat up, rubbing her eyes. Her eyes idly drifted around the room before she fell forward, her elbows on the couch, holding her head in her hands.

Taylor had no idea why she was so tired. She had felt normal the whole week, but once she boarded the plane to Kansas City this morning, she felt the fatigue approaching. She smiled into her palms as she realised she only let herself feel the weight of the week once she was on her way to Travis.

She heard him enter the room and she looked up.

"You're awake," he smiled with a hint of mockery.

Taylor rolled her eyes, "Yeah, yeah. What time is it?"

"Five thirty, on the dot," Travis replied after checking his phone.

Taylor felt his eyes on her as she nodded and stared blankly at the floor.

"What do you want for dinner?" He asked.

Taylor shrugged. "I don't think I'll be hungry."

"You have to have dinner," Travis replied and walked over to her. He knelt down in front of her, and she watched with tired eyes as he so softly held her chin in his hand. "You're exhausted, baby. What's up?"

Taylor swallowed. "I dunno. Just been busy I guess."

Travis nodded slightly and dropped his hand to hold hers. "You know, we haven't really talked about the Golden Globes..."

Taylor frowned at that. "Yes we have."

"Not really..."

"The phone call on Monday where I vented for half an hour? Did I dream that?"

"Right, but, I guess, the discourse is still sort of loud online and-"

Taylor cut him off, "I don't care about stupid discourse," she rolled her eyes and pulled her hand from his.

"Hey, Tay," he said, "I'm not starting an argument here. I just want to make sure you're okay."

Taylor deliberated whether to shut down this whole conversation, or to try to explain why she hated it so much. In the spirit of communication, she sucked in a breath and spoke.

"I just- I feel like I bring a new issue into this house every week. We don't have to talk about it. Besides, it's nothing new. I'm used to this stuff, not to sound all depressing or anything."

"You're not bringing any issue, Tay. This isn't on you. That dickhead made that joke, not you, and some random assholes on the internet have nothing to do outside of picking apart anything you do. Again, that's not on you. And there's the other thing that people are talking about..."

"I know, trust me, I know it's not my fault. I don't think you get what I'm saying." Taylor replied, reaching out and taking his hand back. "Can't you just let me pretend there aren't a shit ton of articles about me being published every day?" she mock pouted.

Travis smiled, "I would do that if I thought you're actually able to pretend that."

"Hey!" Taylor grinned, but sobered up. "Seriously, I think you're more worried than you should be. Being tired is not equal to losing my mind, I promise."

Travis nodded and was quiet for a moment, taking in what she was saying. "You know I love you." Taylor's smile quickly returned at that. "I hear you. But still, you're clearly worn out and I think you should let me bring you to bed."

"Well," Taylor smirked, "I can't turn down that offer."

Taylor squealed as he stood fast and scooped her up, twirling her around before laughing and carrying her to the bedroom.

"You're not real, are you?" She spoke once he gently placed her on the bed and helped pull the duvet over her. Any energy she had moments ago had escaped her once again.

"Ah," he smacked his lips. "You finally caught on," he sighed, his eyes twinkling. "I'm going to wake you up for a late dinner, okay?"

Taylor nodded and closed her eyes, snuggling further into the bed. "I love you."

"I love you."

The last thing Taylor felt before falling asleep was his kiss on her forehead.