3. Twilight skate

After a barrage of questions from my mom about my first day at the new school, I finally managed to escape to my room. Changing into something more comfortable, I threw on a hoodie and a pair of well-worn jeans before retrieving my skateboard from its hiding spot under my bed.

With practiced ease, I slipped out of my window and onto the roof, the cool evening air washing over me as I made my way down to the ground. The street lamps flickered to life as I skated down the quiet suburban roads, the rhythmic sound of wheels against pavement a comforting constant.

I had heard whispers of a nearby skatepark from a few people at school, and tonight seemed like the perfect opportunity to check it out. The prospect of carving through empty bowls and grinding on smooth rails filled me with a sense of exhilaration that I couldn't ignore.

As I approached the skatepark, the sounds of laughter and skateboards echoed through the air, drawing me closer with each passing second. I rounded a corner and came face to face with Tom, his easygoing demeanor and effortless swagger making him stand out in the crowd.

"Hey, Aria! Fancy meeting you here," Tom called out, flashing me a grin.

I returned his smile, feeling a sense of warmth at the sight of a familiar face in this sea of strangers. "Hey, Tom. What are you doing here?"

Tom gestured to the skateboard at his feet, a playful twinkle in his eyes. "Just catching some air, you know? Care to join me?"

I nodded eagerly, the prospect of skating with Tom filling me with excitement. Together, we glided across the smooth concrete, our movements fluid and synchronized as we chased the fading light of the setting sun.

As we took a break to catch our breath, I noticed a figure standing on the sidelines, watching us with a hint of amusement. It was a guy with spiked hair and a relaxed demeanor, his presence oddly comforting amidst the chaos of the skatepark.

"That's my brother, Bill," Tom explained, noticing my curious gaze. "He doesn't skate, but he's always here to keep me company."

I nodded in understanding, feeling a sense of camaraderie with Bill despite our brief interaction. It was comforting to know that Tom had someone like him by his side, even in the most unexpected of places.

With a renewed sense of energy, we continued to skate well into the evening, our worries and insecurities melting away with each turn of the wheels.