Side Missions Before Scarlett

It has been a few weeks after Owen and his friends had finally managed to kill Handsome Jack.

To treat them to a fun experience, Sir Hammerlock invited several of them to go on a weekend hunting ferocious creatures for sport.

Owen, Zer0, Axton, Mordecai, Salvador, Gaige and Brick took him up on this offer. Krieg and Maya were busy helping Tina with something. But during the hunting trip, the group ran into trouble. A rogue Hyperion scientist named Professor Nakayama. The guy was obsessed with Jack, and had become distraught after the death of his idol. Through further misfortune, a Hyperion transport ship that he was on crashed on the primitive continent of Aegrus, leaving Nakayama to fend for himself in hostile territory. To that end, he resumed the kind of experimentation that he had done for Hyperion, grotesquely modifying both himself and some of the local fauna, which was the exact reason Hammerlock started his “Big Game Hunt.”

Very soon, he seized on a plan to clone his idol, Handsome Jack.

Owen and the others were not about to let this happen, so with the help of Claptrap, who had somehow gotten a bunch of psychotic natives of Aegrus to worship him for a few hours, helped them track down Nakayama.

His direct words were, “know thy enemy minion! If you're gonna take down Professor Nakayama, you'll do well to learn everything you can about him! I think the tool lost some of his audio diaries: go find 'em!”

The audio diaries went as such:

"Oh. My. God. Today…. Handsome Jack talked to me. I was sent to his Turbo-Mansion to deliver some Eridium and…. Oh, the sound of his voice. Such wisdom, such handsomeness. I can't remember exactly what he said; something about how he'd strangle me if I didn't break eye contact with him…. But…. Hnnnnng! I AM THE HAPPIEST MAN ALIVE.”

"I AM THE SADDEST MAN ALIVE. Handsome Jack is dead! Some Vault Hunters killed him in cold blood. I will make it my life's work to bring Handsome Jack back, and kill the Vault Hunters who slew him. This is my vow! Oh, Handsome Jack loved making vows….”

"I AM THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE. I'm gonna clone Jack using a fearsome beast, then use THAT beast to kill the Vault Hunters! The Terminus is about to touch down in Aegrus, and-”

“Alert. Autopilot disengaged.”

"Are we crashing? Why are we crashing?!”

His pilot, a defective robot, said, “my bad!”

"I AM THE MOST AMBIVALENT MAN ALIVE. We just crashed on Aegrus, my plan is set in motion, and the Vault Hunters just arrived. Un-frigging-fortunately, however, the Vault Hunters survived every attempt I've made to kill them, which, uh, kinda makes me kinda nervous. But just keep it together. Just think like Jack. What would Jack do? What would Jack do?”

And thus, after hearing the pathetic ramblings of the professor, they soon made their way to his lair in a jeep. As they got out, they saw what looked like a Frankenstein monster with a twisted version of Jack's face guarding the front of an old lab with a huge flight of stairs in front of it.

 As they got out, they saw what looked like a Frankenstein monster with a twisted version of Jack's face guarding the front of an old lab with a huge flight of stairs in front of it