Chapter 55: Mechanic and Princess Reunited

Daniel is joined by his entire group of companions outside of the Citadel in an open portion of the field; Hekate, Ryuogriar, Reignleif, Geirahoel, Aoloan, Treia, Gwenesphia, Shek, Skloe, Vaergraes, Thymeria, Illianna, Xyreko, and even Ryukana, the goddess. He worked with Xyreko's golems to set up a nice outdoor pavilion to afford them some shelter from the sun, but provide the fresh air of the outdoors as he sets up the various new weapons he intends to test. Each one has a slightly different design, based on the mechanism of the element that is used. The fire weapon looks like a wide pipe with a rifle grip, while the water weapon has a sort of hour-glass shape, but stretched long-ways. The ice weapon has a screw-like shape, and the air cannon looks like a trumpet with a strange cap over the end. Daniel and Hekate stage the weapons on a firing bench with a concrete barrier around and behind it. He already had Xyreko's golems test fire the weapons in a sealed environment to make sure the weapons themselves were safe to use, and now is the test to see how they work with a person.

That said, the one he keeps in its case for now is the one he calls a 'rail gun' which uses the lightning crystal.

Vaergraes hovers a little ways behind Daniel and Hekate as they work, remarking gently, "I'm a little surprised, Daniel. I expected you to keep your designs secret."

"I trust everyone here well enough. You all know my desire is to protect us, and if possible, the world from danger."

She nods in agreement. "True."

"Want to try it out?" asks Daniel as he gestures at the fire weapon.

Vaergraes is surprised, but Hekate pounces in between them. "Nuh-uh! I'm first! I'm Empress and Daniel's wife. I get to go first."

The others chuckle, and Daniel ruffles her hair, which earns him a glare. "Yes, but everyone else can try them if they want after, right?"

She huffs. "Of course. Our allies and family should be able to protect themselves."

"Then, go ahead. Remember how to hold the rifle?"

Hekate nods, her big ears perked upright. Daniel doesn't forget to withdraw safety glasses and earmuffs he made to fit Hekate, even as she bounces excitedly to the bench. She takes position, and she begins aiming the fire weapon as Daniel puts her safety gear on her. He then warns, "Everyone, I don't think this will be as loud as the rifle, but please remain behind the barrier during firing."

The members of the group nod together. The dragons are seated with their eggs on comfortable lounge chairs, while Gwenesphia and Treia stand at the corners of the concrete barrier. Shek, Skloe, and Aoloan serve cookies and milk to everyone, less interested in the weapons other than to be part of the group.

Ryukana approaches Daniel, and Hekate watches her suspiciously. "My Lady Goddess," states Daniel as he bows briefly.

She smirks. "That's not necessary, Daniel." She then looks at the various weapons. "You modeled these after the cannon that knocked Reignleif out of the sky?"

Daniel nods. "It relies on the diamond magic crystals, and it dumps a lot of magic power all at once. But, it should prove to be able to stop virtually anything on a relatively small scale. I don't know what else is out there, but if it can grow stronger by hurting Hekate,..."

Ryukana nods, and Hekate remains quiet. They both know the outcome.

"I could advance the mass production of weapons of this world instead, but given what the Devourer was, I want to make sure we're prepared."

Ryukana nods. "I don't object to the creation of these weapons. Having said that, do be sure not to abuse your position."

Daniel bows. "I don't care about power. I only want the people I care about to be safe."