9. The First Market Visit

*Purely Fictional Story*

AN: A hurried update due to DM requests 😅🙈

__________________

Once back from making the phone call to her parents, the rest of the day had gone by in ferocious unpacking. Ananth had the week away from work, so he wanted to ensure the house was set before he had to go back to work. And somberi Sadhana just wanted all this done while Ananth was free. What she did not anticipate was that the strict officer would be putting her to good work through the course of this unpacking.

Padutharaare ivaru, naane paavam. Enakku pasikum la? She mentally cribbed and looked at the four unopened carton boxes that had been strictly assigned for her to complete before their dinner and all she had done was to procrastinate. To be fair to Ananth, she knew they were small cartons and she had been told they contained necessities such as clocks, bedding, blankets and quilts, and some saucepans – all small items that she could handle by herself while her husband dealt with bigger and heavier items like the bookshelf and other small furniture moved from his previous house.

But no, Sadhana's stomach told her to sit idle. Puffing and pouting, she stretched her legs kicking the scissors away, put her hands behind her and arched backwards. She closed her eyes and crossed her legs at her ankles, and a tune automatically was vocalised by her throat. Humming and swaying her ankles from one side to the other, Sadhana sat lost in her own world.

"Paadi mudichaachu na, konjam velai paakalam" she heard the voice that had been the calling bell for her flutters these days. Quickly sitting straight, she pulled her nighty to cover her legs, her mind wondering how much of her bare legs had been captured by his eyes. Realizing she was to be angry with him, she dismissed the flutters and looked sharp at him.

"Enna moraikareenga madam?" he folded his hands across his chest and leaned on the frame of the door to the bedroom where Sadhana sat with her share of the cartons. His forefinger went up to the bridge of his nose to make his spectacles sit proper.

Ayyo andha kannadi vera, idha paathale nammaku ullendhu edho varume Sadhana thought to herself, and let out a sigh of relish, which Ananth mistook to be one of hunger - it was, but not the kind he assumed it to be.

"Pasikudha maa? Sorry, romba velai a" his soft voice and he came closer to her, putting her under their spell again. Kneeling to her level, he took the scissors from the floor and kept it on one of the carton boxes. He then held out his hand for her to hold. Her palm felt utter soft as he encased it in his wide one and gave it a squeeze "Ezhundhuko, saapadalam. Saapadu vandhachu" his warm voice increasing her hunger.

Getting up along with him and dusting her hand on the side of her nighty, she started to run towards the kitchen in actual hunger, only for his hand to act as a speed breaker to her rush. He pulled her hand softly towards him and responded to the unspoken question reflected in her eyes "Chapathi subji thattula pottu hall la vechurken. Hand wash pannitu hall ku vaa" Rubbing her knuckles with his thumb, he then released her hand and walked to the hall.

Ivaru nallavara kettavara? Her mind mimicked the famous dialogue from a super hit movie from a couple of years ago and giggled as she walked to the washbasin. Kettavara, che che, ivaru adhukellam seri pattu vara maataru. Kettavara nadikara nallavaru she concluded the drama playing out in her mind.

Predicting that she would walk to the hall rubbing her wet hands on the sides of her nighty, he had a hand towel ready which he gently threw to her. Sheepishly grinning, she showed him the wet stains on her nighty that she had already made. Shaking his head at her in disapproval, he handed her her plate as she sat next to him.