Spread

I got to share Alex's room for the next few nights. Although I quickly discovered that I wouldn't get any sleep, I had strained my injury flying today, and I usually laid on my stomach, but it hurt tonight. And no way in heck would I sleep on my wings. So that left my sides, I had been hit more to the left, so I tried sleeping on my right. That failed, I couldn't go flying (wounded bird kid) so I just stared at the wall.

To be honest it was quite an interesting wall. I could see Alex wanted to be a photographer, the room was covered in pictures. From flowers to people, assorted animals, fruit, but one group stood out more than the rest. There were baby pictures here and there. I couldn't read the names, but the colors they were wearing suggested two boys and a girl. I only knew of two Santos' kids, so this confused me massively. Although it really wasn't my business.

I was thinking about how nice the Santos' had been to me. They accepted my wings, didn't think I was a freak, and had a large abundance of food. I was really hungry these days. And I hadn't been attacked again, and there was no sign of James from the Lab, thank goodness.

When I had to run, it was just to escape, now that I wasn't being hunted, I didn't have motive to leave anymore. I could stay here, forever.

But what if I had a mission? The Lab could be experimenting on other helpless kids and I wouldn't know about it. I could shut them down, I could change the world. I shivered, the idea seeming so completely insane, but it was so worth a shot. All would have to do was find the place, sneak in, bust a few cages, kill a few computers. It didn't sound that hard.

Alex had a laptop he had showed me how to use. I opened it up and began searching Legal Assault Biologies. One site was all about the wonderful project they were doing to create better soldiers for America. Kind of like what James said. And they had an address, but it was in Washington. Not D.C. The sate of above Oregon. I could fly there if I wanted. I think I found my mission.

I was distracted by a dull ache behind my ears. My hand reached up to discover something soft, and oily. I gasped when I realized they were feathers. They were spreading again, all the way down my neck was white. Would the keep going until I was more bird than kid? How could I stop it?

The Lab, they would probably have something. Not only did I need to destroy them, but my life depended on them too.