20. hesitation is deadly

Começar do início

And you did. You followed his lead as the two of you approached the closed golden door that covered you from the eyes of the public. 

The two guards performed a small greeting before pushing the doors open. That caught the attention of the people already inside the banquet hall, and made them wonder who it was that was about to enter. 

The two guards returned to their prior position and saluted. Then, one of them spoke in a loud voice, "Make way for His Majesty, Emperor Claude de Alger Obelia, and..."

His slight pause caused you to tense up. Claude must've noticed how your grip on his hands tightened as you kept your eyes to the ground. The guard must have no idea how to address you. 

You were a noble lady when it comes to birth, but that was reduced to almost nothing when you entered the palace as a maid — as the Emperor's personal maid, at that. 

"We should move—" you tried to take a step forward to urge Claude inside since his name was announced, and there was no one more important in the empire than him. 

"Do it properly," his low tone and icy gaze was targeted towards the guard who couldn't announce your name. You recalled his previous threats of killing and taking out the tongues of those that showed disrespect during this banquet, and you couldn't help but fear for the life of the guard.

You returned your eyes to your partner. He refused to move until the guard spoke your name with the appropriate title. 

"...His Majesty, Emperor Claude de Alger Obelia, and the Lady (Y/n) (L/n)!"

Claude spent a few good seconds eyeing the guard before he nodded once. He gave you a small glance, and immediately noticed the panicked expression on your face. Quickly, he spoke, "It was his job to announce you as well. I was just reminding him to do as his occupation tells him to."

He had a point.

You sighed. You didn't fault the guard for not knowing what to call you, but Claude would never agree with you on that. You let yourself be pulled with him as he took you inside the banquet hall. When you entered, you could immediately feel the hundreds of gazes that became curious when they heard Claude's name. 

It only lasted for a second, because they were all bowing down afterwards. Well, almost all of them, at least. The ones who kept on moving as they liked were most likely foreigners and other high ranking officials from other nations that could stand on equal grounds with Claude.

The fact that the eyes that were on you lessened was an immense relief on its own, though. You couldn't remember a moment where you had to stand in front of this many people after you graduated.

"You should have worn gloves," Claude commented as the two of descended the stairs. His eyes were on your hands, but when he noticed your curious gaze, he was quick to elaborate, "You're sweating."

You frowned at him playfully, "I don't remember you being this picky before."