19. crowns and gowns

The morning of the most awaited event ( and yet, also your most dreaded event) started with a knock. No greetings, nobody announcing or calling out to you—just three knocks on the door. 

And there's only one man in Obelia with enough audacity to barge in your room without announcing himself, so you didn't even have to bother to turn around to check who it was. You just knew.

"I'm surprised you have enough time to be able to stop by here. I thought you'd be spending a lot of time getting ready." you told him, refusing to turn around because you just woke up and did not look the most presentable with eyes barely open. 

You just finished washing your face and ridding of your morning breath, and the maid who was tasked to help you just exited. Your hair was wild, and your clothes were wrinkled. You tried to navigate around your room for your hairbrush, but—

He, as usual, missed ( or perhaps, ignored? ) the hints you were giving. He grabbed your arm to prevent you from taking any more steps, but didn't force you around. He was simply holding you in place.

"It's still quite early. Why are you awake?" he questioned. "I recall telling them to wake you up two hours from now."

"Mother Nature called out to me."

"..."

"Okay, but at least I didn't lie. It's just me being nervous. It's my first public appearance, and it's a large scale event that extends beyond Obelia, and I'm accompanying such an important figure--"

"You didn't seem to care about the 'important figure' thirty seconds ago when you told that same important figure about your bathroom travels."

"You literally asked."

"Ignoring your rather sassy tone," he continued speaking and gently turned you around so that you would be facing him, "There is no need for you to be so worried about the reactions of 'important figures'. You are a citizen of Obelia, as far as anything is concerned, I should be the most important figure in your eyes."

You nodded slowly as you took in his words, but it didn't shake off the nervous feeling in your chest, "You're... different. We met under different—and peculiar—circumstances. At a pub, of all places! You were already aware of my...nature. And when I was still your personal attendant, barely anyone would take a second glance at me to remember my face."

With you attending this party as the emperor's partner, things were bound to be different.

"This used to be a normal occurrence for you, no?" he asked, an eyebrow raised, "You are a noble. Parties are something that happens as often as you breathe."

The previous owner of the body surely had experience with parties. But you? No. This world's definition of parties differed greatly from what you know. So not only were you nervous because this would your first time attending a grand event in this world, you were also worried about the reactions the citizens of Obelia would receive upon seeing their Emperor attend with a relatively unknown woman.