04. never again

During the whole speech and whatever it was that Claude and the Head Maid said this whole meeting, all you could do was lower your gaze in hopes that he doesn't recognize you—which has a high chance of happening, since he wasn't intoxicated that day and could probably easily spot you.

"...We pledge to fulfill our duties." Sasha finished reciting, which was your cue.

In sync with all the other ladies in the room, you curtsied and spoke in a clear voice, "We pledge to fulfill our duties."

That should wrap everything up, right? your eyes were darting everywhere, and you couldn't stop the feeling of restlessness creeping up your chest. All that's left is exiting. All I need to do is follow everyone, directly bow to the EmperorWait. I need to bow in front of him before exiting. I need to say 'I pledge to fulfill my duty' to him. I need to bow to him. I need to speak to him.My face, my voicehe'll definitely see my face!

The line of maids began moving, and before you could recollect your thoughts, you were forced to walk towards the man you wanted to avoid. 

If I keep my head low, he won't see me, right? Hehe, come on, Lady Luck. You killed me once, don't make the same mistake twice. Don't let today be my last day on this Earth. I just got here! the nervousness you were feeling grew with every step you took—to the point that you were mentally begging the females in front of you to take their time in greeting the man, but as if they were against you, it felt like everything was happening at twice the speed.

"Hey, hey, (Y/n)." Eunice whispered to you, but her eyes were trained off somewhere else. In hopes to distract yourself, you lifted your head slightly to look over to your friend. "Have you noticed? There are barely any servants in His Majesty's palace, and yet they had us ladies stationed at the Emerald Palace. Is that not odd?"

That's actually better! It makes the chances of seeing him lower! you simply laughed her words off. "Don't be like that, Eunice. We are simply here to do what we are asked to do, and that is to stay at the Emerald Palace. There is also no one inhabiting the Emerald Palace, and that means there won't be much work for us to do."

Her eyes lit up as she considered everything you said. "Yes, I suppose that is an ideal beginning, especially for nobles."

Two more pairs, and I'm up. you took a deep breath, watching as the current pair began walking away from the Emperor, their heads still bowed. One more, and...

You took the step forward, walking beside Eunice ( who looked a lot more calmer than you ). You reached the assigned spot, lowering your head as a greeting.

"I pledge to fulfill my duty." you recited in chorus, your voice lower than it should be—and you hoped that he was bored enough with everything that he would let that fact pass—as all you wanted was to get it over with so you could go on with your life and quickly return to your 'home.'