~Chapter 06: Apology- Jayson's POV~

"Luke?"

"Wh-Why haven't you gone ho-home yet?"

I told him that I came from Kathy's house because we discussed something. While the two of us stood by the side of the road, a passing car splashed water on us. Fortunately, Luke quickly shielded us with his umbrella, but we still got wet from the rain. We both laughed.

"That's my ride home. Why don't you just join me?"

"N-No," he replied.

He hesitated, and I noticed that he seemed a bit embarrassed.

"Are you sure, Luke? Will you follow?"

He answered with a yes, and I bid him farewell.

*****

It was Friday, so we will be dismissed early today.

When I entered the classroom, I saw Nathalie sitting on a chair facing Luke. I noticed that some of my classmates were giving Luke unfriendly looks.

I approached Nathalie and greeted her, but she just glanced at me without saying anything.

At dismissal, I saw Nathalie grab her bag and leave with her friends. I also spotted Kathy outside the classroom, and she said,

"Hey, let's go, Jay, to the Hideaway Café."

Since it was only three in the afternoon, I joined her, and we hung out at the Hideaway Café. While waiting for our orders, Kathy asked me,

"Is Nathalie making you do her assignments and projects?"

I immediately denied it and changed the topic.

"How are things in your classroom? Is Vincent still bothering you?"

"Stop talking about him! Just hearing his name annoys me," she replied.

As we left the café, I saw Nathalie walking with her friends. I quickly approached her and asked if I could talk to her. Kathy didn't notice my departure because she was on the phone, presumably discussing some documents.

Nathalie agreed, so we went to a quieter spot where our classmates wouldn't overhear us.

"What do you want? Tell me ASAP."

"Why have you been avoiding me all day?" I asked.

"Did I make it too obvious?"

"What's the reason? Is it because of what you and Kathy talked about?"

"How did you know?" she responded.

I told her that I saw her talking to Kathy and overheard some of their conversation. That's when she blurted out,

"You should tell that brat to stop attacking me! She even threatened to knock my face to the ground."

I immediately apologized on Kathy's behalf.

"Stop apologizing, Jayson. I hate it, especially when someone asks for forgiveness, especially that brat," she said.

She left abruptly, leaving me wondering about our situation.

After accompanying Kathy to the Hideaway Café, I didn't immediately tell her about my conversation with Nathalie. When we reached the front door of her house, I finally revealed what I had learned from Nathalie.

"Did she tell you everything?"

I raised my voice, frustrated that Kathy had threatened Nathalie whenever she approached me.

"I was doing it because I knew she'd just use you! If you only knew how many guys she's involved with!"

"How can you say that she's a player?! She only talks to me!"

She slapped me suddenly and said,

"You're too blind to see that! You're becoming foolish when it comes to her!"

"Yes! Because I like her!"

I told her that they should apologize to each other, but she refused, saying,

"I would rather die than forgive her for using you. Especially regarding that Mayon Volcano project!"

She slammed the door in my face, and we didn't speak further.

*****

I decided to leave and went to Acop to find transportation home. There, I saw the last departing vehicle. I tried to catch up with it, but I accidentally bumped into someone.

"Luke?"

"Ja-Jayson? Why were you running?"

I apologized to him and explained that I was chasing after the jeep heading to my destination. Suddenly, it started raining heavily, and once again, I found myself without an umbrella.

Shortly after, I noticed Luke opening his umbrella and saying,

"Ha-Hold this umbrella with me. You might catch a cold."

He stood close, sheltering both of us, and added,

"Don't str-stray too far. You'll ge-get wet."

I could feel the warmth of his body around me. Just then, we ran into Vincent. I asked him if he had an extra umbrella, but unfortunately, he didn't. Vincent excused himself, saying he needed to buy something, while Luke and I took refuge by the side of the grocery store.

As we waited for the rain to subside, Luke asked where I had been. I mentioned what happened between Kathy and me.

"Ja-Jayson, it's okay. If yo-you ask me, it's good to talk things out with Kathy so you can be okay again," he said.

"Is that possible?"

"Yes, Vin-Vincent and I often have misunderstandings too, but we're ok-okay again afterward."

I felt guilty for raising my voice at Kathy, so next time, I'll apologize to her.

"By the way, Luke, thanks for always being there, especially during moments like this," I said.

"Wh-What do you me-mean?"

I chuckled because he didn't quite understand. I explained that whenever it rained, I never had an umbrella, and he was always the one who shared his with me. It had happened three times already.

He smiled and said,

"I-I didn't realize, Jayson. When-Whenever I walk, I just happen to find you without an um-umbrella."

We both laughed, and our conversation shifted to the upcoming first-semester exams. Luckily, Luke reminded me that it would be at the end of the month.

Fortunately, a jeepney arrived, so I quickly boarded and bid farewell to Luke.

When I got home, I found grandma sleeping on the sofa. I covered her with a blanket.

*****

There were no classes today because it was Saturday. I tried calling Kathy to apologize, but she didn't answer. So, I decided to go to her house and talk to her in person.

As I arrived in front of their house, their neighbor informed me that Kathy had left early in the morning.

On the first day of school this week, I immediately looked for Kathy, and there she was. I approached her and said,

"Kathy, I'm sorry for raising my voice."

I raised my voice even louder so she could hear me.

"Fine! Just lower your voice, okay? You're too noisy," she replied.

I hugged her, relieved that she forgave me so quickly.

"Of course, Jay. We're best friends, right?"

But I noticed some of my classmates looking at us, and Kathy suddenly said,

"We're just friends, don't make it an issue."

She said that before leaving. As I headed to the library, I overheard Nathalie and her friends talking about something.