The aunt pulled away a little, "Darling, why?" 

"I'm sorry, Aunt Stacy, please forgive me." Clementine voice cracked, "Please, don't leave me, don't let me go." Stacy eyes saddened and she hugged her again softer this time and the girl hugged back, I stood up, I'm guessing the woman didn't notice I was there because when she let go of Clementine and diverted her attention to me, she looked surprised.

"Asher?" 

I looked at her confused, "Do I know you?"

"No. But I've seen your picture on Jessica's phone." She smiled.

"You know my sister?" I asked, thinking about it, Jessica did mention someone named Stacy before sometime last years ago. "Thinking about it, Jess did mention someone named Jessica when she was in high school, but I've never got to meet you." I went to shake her hand.

"Yeah." Was all she said shaking my hand, well talk about awkward I thought and chuckled.

Clementine looked back and forth between us probably not understanding what's happening. The man spoke up, "Uh, miss Sanchez, this man found your little girl."

"Thank you for watching her." She smiled up at me and I shook my head, "Not me, thank God instead. If I didn't go jogging who knows what would of happened." I said and she nodded.

Sanchez grinned like she was in deep thought, she opened her mouth to say something, but Clementine beat her to it, "Aunt Stacy, I want to go home."

Miss Sanchez looked hesitant, "Um... okay we will just be patient I need to talk to Mr. Human for a minute." 

I'm caught off guard, but I let her pull me to the corner of the room where Clementine can still see us. Stacy started talking in a low voice, "Jessica told me you want to start a family of your own."

Uh, where is this going?

When I didn't say anything, she continued, "This might be too much to ask but can you adopt her?" 

"What?" I asked, did I hear right?

She looked down at the floor, "Clemetine doesn't know this and your sister doesn't even know what I'm about to tell you. I can't take care of her anymore because of own condition." I intently listened, she sighed and looked up at me, "I have brain cancer. The doctor wanted me to admit myself in. I can't do that though because I'm taking care of sister's daughter but I'm not even a good mother figure. She's a smart nine-year-old and I love her like she's my own, my actions might not show it." She ranted and I pulled her in for a hug which she gladly accepted.

"I know she wishes her life was different and that she has a normal family with a mom and dad. I can't give her that and who knows what's going to happen in the future." She sniffled, "Times are hard and I'm a homeschool teacher that does odd jobs on the side."

"Shh." I shushed her, people including Clementine were staring at us, but I don't care.

"My head hurts." She mumbled into my chest.

I sighed, "Okay, I'll do it."

"What?" She pulled away and looked up at me.

"I'll adopt Clementine." I said giving her a genuine smile.

I'm serious and I always wanted to be a father, and I'm already in my forties. This could be a good thing for all of us. 

Her eyes widened, "Really?"

I nodded grinning, "I love kids and I'm married so I was never able to have any of my own. You also need to admit yourself in the hospital, how long have been avoiding this?"

"Four years ago, was when I found out." She glanced over at the little girl and whispered, "She's a good kid, I don't want her to get hurt."

"Everything thing will be okay." I reassured her and she tilts her head, "How do you know?" 

"I have faith."

SEPTEMBER SATURDAY 19/2015

Clementine

It's the next day, I'm in my bedroom lying on the floor coloring in my coloring book. Yesterday was tiring and I did something stupid, I ran away from home. But this man found me, his name is Asher Hernandez and he's also Jessie's older brother.

I was scared at first because, stranger danger but he was very nice. He took me to the police station and Aunt Stacy later arrived at the station. After she talked to Asher alone, we returned home but strangely she didn't want me to unpack my bags.

I went to bed and yeah, here I am now laying on the floor coloring a picture of a flower. Aunt Stacy walked into my bedroom.

"Clementine, can you come downstairs there are people I want you to meet?" Aunt Stacy asked me.

"Okay." I replied getting up and following my aunt downstairs. Stacy is walking in front of me and I'm holding onto the stairwell as we make our way down, I see two people sitting on the couch I tilted my head confused.

Who are those people? When I made it to the bottom of the steps realization hits one of them is Asher. Why is Asher in our house? Aunt Stacy walks me over to them and sits me down in one of the chairs next the couch.

They smiled at me, and the woman gave me a kind wave.

"Hello, Clementine." The woman said.

"Hi."

"Do you know who I am?"

I shook my head and her smiled softened.

"What's going on?" I asked looking at each of them, one by one. The woman looked from me to Aunt Stacy, I turned to Aunt Stacy who seemed hesitant to answer my question, but the woman gave her a nod.

"Clementine, I- I can't take care of you anymore." She burst in tears, and I just stared at her, "I'm sorry, it's not that I don't want you. I do, but I'm dealing with something right now and my energy's draining. I've been trying to hold on for years but." She shook her head, "My times up, I need to leave." 

"To where?" I asked, I'm not surprised no need to cry all my tears are dried up.

"To the hospital, darling."

Asher spoke up, "Your Aunt Stacy loves you and wants you to be in good hands."

I nodded and looked at the not so random woman in the room and asked, "Miss, are you a social worker?" She nodded and I looked down then back up at Aunt Stacy, "I'll miss you Aunt Stacy." I stand up and give her a big hug.

She chuckled, "You'll see me again, we just won't be living together anymore."

"I love you."

"I love you too." She said back. I pulled away and turned to the woman, "I'll go and pack my things." I said walking to the stairs and thinking to myself, 'So this is why she didn't want me to unpack.'  You never know what the future holds but God knows, and he only knows what will happen next.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Thoughts?

God bless you :)