Wrecker had been the one to stop him. Wrecker had been the first to move, to grab Hunter's arm and yank him back, even as he fought and thrashed and tried to break free. But Wrecker is Wrecker, and he always has been stronger – he's Hunter's strength the same way Crosshair was his eyes and Tech his mind, and Wrecker is the one beside him, holding him steady and strong even now. Forever and ceaselessly loyal to the end, even if Hunter doesn't deserve it because he doesn't deserve anything.

"I'm not letting you go, too," Wrecker had hissed and Hunter had tried to wrench away because Tech was more important but every twitch of his wing was agonizing, and trying to help was a fruitless hope.

(He remembers Wrecker's hands on his throat, remembers being pinned against the wall and struggling fruitlessly against it.)

He thought he should've been faster, should have saved him

Tech's not dead though – he didn't die any more than Hunter on Bracca. He doesn't know how Tech survived, or even what's happening, just that he can somehow feel him.

Feels when he's in pain.

Feels that he needs them, too.

So here they are.

Hunter knows the risks.

He doesn't care.

"Don't make the same mistake twice."

He can't wait. He can't keep holding back when they finally, finally know where to go. He knew how to find Tech and Omega, even if Wrecker had thought it was just hope they'd be in the same place.

All he has now to lose is Wrecker, because he's lost everyone else there is and even isn't to lose. And yes, Hunter is terrified of losing Wrecker, but he's failed everyone. and he has to make this right. He has to get them back. Tech and Omega have gone through stars know what already because Hunter let them be captured.

"They will be," Hunter had said, because he couldn't believe anything else, and at least if they can get Tech, they'll be that much closer to finding their sister.

Echo, Rex, and Anakin had told them to be careful, but a mission's a mission and they have to do this.

Tech's been calling to him; his presence dark but bright and pulsing. Beside him. Hovering. Constantly. Always.

Because Tech never let him fall alone.

Hunter shouldn't need him so much, shouldn't need anyone so much, but he does, and he's not letting him go. Not again.

They can't wait any more.

So now, here they are, attempting to infiltrate the facility inside a mountain that Hunter had led himself and Wrecker to through his mind alone.

Without Tech, getting in his hard. Hunter doesn't have that brilliance. He has no idea what he's doing. He can't use a datapad with the same fluency. He can try, is trying, but it's not the same, because he's not Tech and Hunter misses him so badly he can't breathe.

Doesn't even care if it hurts anymore. He just needs them all to be together again. Wrecker needs it. Omega. All of them.

"You shouldn't be here," Tech's voice whispers, and for the first time since Hunter's known him, he sounds scared.

Terrified.

Gutted.

But Hunter doesn't stop, because he's stupid and stubborn and he never stops.