69 - Kat Ride and Rayne Ames (3)

⚠️CHILD ABANDONMENT & DEATH MENTIONED
RAYNE BACKSTORY SPOILERS
[POV CHANGE | KAT RIDE]

I let out a deep sigh as I follow Rayne and Orter out of the room, my mind exhausted as it spins from the emotional turmoil that just occured in the room behind me. I nearly jump when I feel arms quickly wrap around me, my gaze lowering to land on Gazzy, who hugs me tightly and quietly. My gaze moves upward slowly at that, right eye filling with the vision of Kaldo and Ryoh, the latter holding a deep sense of anger within his eyes, obviously not enjoying the conversation that just took place.

"Well, I guess that concludes today's events. I must go and write a report about everything Gazzy has shared with us today." Ryoh's words held a silent plea for dismissal, Orter speaking up next with a small, almost unnoticeable, glance being directed at me as his words escape him, "I should do the same for Kat's interrogation."

The four of us remaining watch the two disappear, their steps resounding around the awkwardly quiet hall before Kaldo puts out a few words, "I would love to stay and keep you both company, but alas, unfortunately I have another meeting to attend to." He offers me a sly smile after speaking, lifting a hand to gently tap my cheek before muttering out, "Truly is a shame...I guess we'll just have to make up for lost time another time."

I quirk an eyebrow at his words, watching as he departs next before I glance to the remaining Visionary beside me, Gazzy remaining attached to me as I do so. "Gazzy and I were planning to go for ice cream...if you're not busy, would you like to join us?" I notice how Rayne's tense form flinches slightly at my question, the boy turning his gaze towards us, a silent question towards the child clinging to me before he nods in response.

"I would love to."

[POV CHANGE | RAYNE AMES]

To say I was angry would be an understatement.

I already knew her parents were terrible people from what she had shared with me before, but the rest of the information was seated into my mind with an uncomfortable amount of pressure. I didn't like the way she zoned out of the conversation despite her still providing the answers we required, but the emotionless expression that crossed her features was one I never wished to see again.

The invite came as a shock, especially after what I helped put her through, but a part of me was relieved she didn't hold a grudge against me for doing my job. I also noted her exchanges with Orter, the uncomfortable tenseness within her words when she spoke as if attempting to hide her own fear of the Visionary. I also didn't like the suggestion from Kaldo, or his act to tap the girl's cheek before he walked away.

I shake my head at my rampant and jealous thoughts, my fingers twitching as we move in silence, her brother clinging to her hand with tear streaks still prevalent on his face. "I'm sorry." My words slip out without meaning to, my ears perking at the sound of a airy sigh and chuckle, my hand warming when I feel hers slip into it and gift it a small squeeze. "It's not your fault, but...I forgive you."

I gift her a glance at her words, the girl attempting to dismiss the apology despite the slightest tremble I felt within her hand holding mine. I give a reassuring squeeze back just as we arrive at the ice cream shop, my body moving automatically to open the door for the two siblings and allowing them entry first. I take notice of the slight hint of surprise that flickered into Kat's eyes, Gazzy's own going slightly wide at the gesture before they both enter with shy words of appreciation.