67 - The Interrogation of the Ride's (1)

⚠️MENTIONS OF CHILD ABUSE, KIDNAPPING, DEATH AND TRAFFICKING OF CHILDREN, ALSO SPOILERS SOMEWHAT FOR MAXIMUM RIDE (if you haven't read it)
[POV CHANGE | KAT RIDE]

I sit beside Gazzy within a small office, my hands fidgeting slightly as my brother leans into my side. We were impatiently awaiting the arrival of the Visionaries meant to be interrogating us, and I couldn't help but feel uncomfortable about the whole ordeal. The last few days were an exhausting breath of fresh air, the four friends who took me out offering different words of encouragement and appreciation that made my heart sing in appreciation.

I wish I was able to spend more of the break with Gazzy, but I had thankfully gotten Headmaster Wahlberg's permission to do so after this meeting. I jump slightly when I feel Gazzy grab my hand, the action making my gaze turn towards him and be met with a mixed expression of anxiety and concern. "Don't worry, Gazzy, I won't let anything happen."

My words were strong as I squeezed his hand, the affection making him lean in closer as he allows me to wrap the arm around his shoulders, our hands disconnecting at the movement. "I'm scared..." His words are muttered as they left his lips, and I nod slowly in agreement as I hug him tighter. "Me too, but you know what?" My question is soft as I ask it, the boy looking up at me with his brilliant blue eyes,

"What?" He echoes back and I gift him a small smile as I answer with conviction, "At least we're together." He let's out a giggle at my words, the boy laughing slightly as I begin to tickle his side, the sound echoing through the room despite the tense situation. It goes quiet when a knock comes from the door, my brother and I straightening as I pull him closer to me in a defensive stance before the door finally opens.

Four people waltz in, three of them being Visionaries I've had brief conversations with and the other one I've been able to call somewhat of a friend. Rayne looked uncomfortable to be placed into this situation, but a resolve was flickering in his eyes as he entered the room, Ryoh Grantz offering a comforting smile as he enters with Kaldo Gehenna and Orter Madl.

"Well, it is good to see you again." Ryoh attempts to offer a friendly greeting, the words holding little value at Orter's scoff from behind him as I shift in my spot, refusing to get up and bow while I hold Gazzy close. "It's good to see...some of you." My eyes pointedly linger in distaste on Orter Madl, the Visionary smirking mockingly as he shrugs his shoulders at the hidden insult, a sound of stifled laughter coming from Kaldo at the exchange.

"I'd rather not be here..." Gazzy whispers softly, the words sparking something in the blonde Visionary's eyes as he watches the young boy carefully. "I understand that, I was thinking we could do the questionings separately, but if you're too uncomfortable with that we can do it together." I glance down at the boy beside me at Ryoh's words, Gazzy returning the look nervously before our words come out in sync, "Who would be with Gazzy / Kat?"

Kaldo gives his usual smile while Rayne tenses in his spot, eyes remaining focused on me and Gazzy as Ryoh responds once more, "Well, myself and Kaldo here would be with you, Gazzy, while Rayne and Orter would be with Kat." I let out a small sigh of relief at that, my head nodding as I prepare to let out my agreement but Gazzy interrupts quickly, "I don't want him near my sister."

I blink in surprise at the defiance, my gaze returning to the boy beside me quickly as I take note of the surprise radiating around the room as Gazzy glares at Orter fiercely. "He's just like the people at the School, I don't like him." The room rises in tension at those words, Orter scoffing as he speaks up in defense of himself, "I don't experiment on children."