Chapter Thirteen : New Look

Start from the beginning

He felt stupid for it but that’s just how he feels. Hyunjin has always been attractive to him in that way. And Seungmin has been admiring him since he saw him for the first time years ago. It was his fault if his heart decided to skip a beat when he saw Hyunjin, he admits to himself, because he’s a sap. He’s been pining for a long time now and there’s no use trying to deny it anymore. He’s still in love with his best friend no matter what.

“Hey, Seung.” Hyunjin called out. Seungmin glanced at him and gave him a small smile as he said ‘hi’ back in an unusually quiet tone. A few minutes later, Hyunjin sat down on the kitchen island, leaning on the marble countertop. He rested his face against his palms and stared blankly ahead, as usual.

“What’s up? Why so quiet?” Seungmin shrugged. “Did Jisung do something to you again?” At that question, Seungmin let out a soft chuckle. “No, we’re good.”

Hyunjin frowned at the response, “Then what? Did he do something else that makes you look like that? Is he angry again? Or did you get rejected in the middle of a date again? Because I swear if he hurts you again--” Seungmin cut Hyunjin off and gently pressed his palm over Hyunjin’s own hand. When Hyunjin looked up and blinked several times to focus his vision properly, Seungmin was looking at him, with a sweet smile and bright eyes. “Relax Hyunjin, it’s nothing serious. We’re okay.” Hyunjin nodded slowly, still feeling a tad nervous, “Okay then…what’s—“

“Hyun, do you still remember that day when I first confessed to you?” Seungmin asked, cutting him off yet again. Hyunjin furrowed his brows once again, “Yeah? Why would you bring that up right now? Wait. Do you..” He trailed off when he realized what Seungmin is trying to hint at.

“Do I still like you?” Seungmin asked. For someone who likes to play coy sometimes, Seungmin sounded extremely straightforward, “Yeah. I still do, Hyune.”

Hyunjin didn’t know what to say. Sure, they have always been friends and Seungmin didn’t seem to be playing any games when it came to confessing his feelings to him but why was he making things difficult now. Hyunjin let out a deep sigh as he removed his hands from Seungmin’s hold on them, only to draw away as far as he could from him.

“I told you since before that I can’t. We can’t, Seung. I’m sorry but I only see you as a brother.” Hyunjin whispered. He then got up from his seat as well and walked towards the doorway, wanting to leave.

Just as Hyunjin reached out to open the door, Seungmin grabbed his wrist gently and pulled him back. “Don’t go. Please.” Hyunjin turned around to face Seungmin. “Seung I—“ Hyunjin began but Seungmin cut him off yet again. This time with a kiss.

For a second or two Hyunjin was frozen. He looked shocked at the sudden action which caused Seungmin to pull away from his grip. “Seung I don’t know if—“ Hyunjin started but again Seungmin interrupted him by grabbing both sides of his face to pull him into another kiss. It took all of Hyunjin’s willpower to resist, to push Seungmin away. To push him away from him. To break their connection. Once they separated, Seungmin looked straight into Hyunjin’s eyes which were shining brightly and filled with tears. And then he looked away, sighing heavily in disappointment when Hyunjin didn’t even look at him. “You should stop, Seung. This isn’t good for you or for me. I love somebody else and nothing will ever change that.” With that, Hyunjin left without letting him reply.

———
Beomgyu woke up with a start, listening to the loud rings of his alarm clock beside him. The alarm clock’s sound reverberated through the entire house. He groaned loudly as he sat up abruptly in the bed and turned around.

He then reached out a hand to turn off the alarm, which he finally managed to do, and proceeded to throw the covers off of himself. Beomgyu got up out of bed and made his way towards the mirror. He opened his wardrobe doors one by one and started pulling some clothes out of it before running towards the bathroom to change out of them. He threw a towel on top of the toilet seat and splashed some cold water on his face before turning to look at his reflection in the mirror. His hair was a complete mess after sleeping for almost four hours. He really needs a haircut soon. And maybe a new hair colour too? Maybe he could try going to the hair salon today.