Chapter 7: A Spark Ignited

Days blend into each other, a monotonous cycle of stale meals and echoing silence. The interrogation room became Kafka's cage, a constant reminder of her dwindling options. Yet, the defiance simmering within her refused to die.

Then, one afternoon, the heavy oak door creaked open, casting a sliver of golden light across the cold stone floor. La Signora, a whirlwind once more, strode into the room, her fiery gaze locking onto Kafka.

"Well, Kafka," La Signora purred, a hint of amusement dancing in her eyes. "Have you had enough time to contemplate your situation?"

Kafka remained silent, her jaw clenched, but a flicker of defiance sparked in her eyes.

"Let's cut to the chase, shall we?" La Signora continued, leaning against the wall. "The rebellion at the border... a pesky nuisance, but one that requires immediate attention. Fortunately for you, dear Kafka, your... unique skillset could prove quite advantageous."

Kafka scoffed. "So you want me to be your attack dog? Leashed and collared to fight your battles?"

La Signora's smile faltered for a brief moment, but she quickly regained her composure. "Think of it," she said, her voice laced with a seductive promise, "as an opportunity to prove your worth. Quell this rebellion, and who knows? Perhaps the Fatui might have a more  accommodating use for your talents."

Kafka narrowed her eyes. This wasn't freedom, but it was a chance. A chance to test her strength, to understand the Fatui's operations, and perhaps, a chance to find a weakness, an opportunity to turn the tables.

"Fine," she said, her voice laced with a dangerous edge, "I'll help you crush your little rebellion. But remember, this is a temporary alliance. Cross me, La Signora, and you'll regret everything."

La Signora's lips curved into a genuine smile, a rare sight. "A fiery spirit," she purred. "I like it. Very well then, consider your chains a... symbolic inconvenience. And please, address me as Rosalyne from now on."

With a flick of her wrist, the metallic restraints binding Kafka dissolved into wisps of smoke. Stiffly, Kafka rose to her feet, the taste of freedom bittersweet on her tongue.

La Signora gestured towards a rack propped against the wall. It held a crisp white Fatui coat, a stark contrast to the drab clothes she'd been forced to wear. Beside it lay her familiar sword and a sleek, custom-made firearm.

"Consider this your new uniform," La Signora said, her voice devoid of emotion. "Wear it with... purpose, Kafka. Prove yourself a valuable asset, and who knows? Perhaps there's a future for you within the Fatui."

Kafka grabbed her weapons, the familiar weight a comfort in the unfamiliar surroundings. She strapped them on, the white coat settling on her shoulders, an unwelcome symbol of her temporary servitude.

"Then it's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Rosalyne," Kafka said, a sly smile playing on her lips. "This partnership might just surprise you."

La Signora tilted her head, amusement flickering in her crimson eyes. "We shall see, Kafka," she said, the faintest hint of a challenge in her voice. "We shall see."

With that, La Signora swept out of the room, leaving Kafka alone with the echoes of their conversation and the weight of a decision made. 

The heavy oak door slammed shut behind La Signora, leaving Kafka alone with the remnants of their tense agreement. A mixture of relief and apprehension bubbled within her. Freedom, of a very specific kind, was within reach, but at a steep cost.

As she reached for her confiscated belongings, a voice, cold and sharp as a Snezhnaya blizzard, cut through the silence. "Don't mistake borrowed feathers for flight, Stellaron Hunter."