Chapter 14: No one Expects the Y/N Inquisition!

Annoyed. That was the only word to describe how she was feeling, as she sat at the window in the kitchen, leaning against the counter. She glared out at the grass lawn as if it had personally wronged her. She felt like she'd been wronged, at least on a passive level. In truth, it was not the grass who deserved her mild ire (she wasn't really angry, just frustrated).

Two days. It had been two days since she had last seen Blondie. As if he were giving her some sort of cold shoulder, without warning, he'd had a scrap with her, talked about it, left on amicable terms, then went and avoided her right after.

Was there still something left to resolve that she hadn't thought of? Some reason he wouldn't want to see her? Why wasn't he visiting her anymore?

Was it the pyjamas?

The thought had her sitting up, propped up hand left empty as her head lifted from the palm. Shock, horror, and all sorts of other such mortified feelings flew through her all at once.

Logically, she knew she was just overthinking. Even they had talked about how lax the clothing was in the Fairie Realm. But there was creeping doubt slinking along the outskirts of her mind, circling her sense of certainty like a shark in the waters.

What if he, too, had noticed her scantily clad form? What if he didn't want to see her because she was dressed so inappropriately? And now, he was awkwardly thinking she was some kind of floosey just as Margot had accused her of being?

Of course, he wasn't thinking like that... right? He wasn't thinking like that.

Right?

She groaned inwardly.

'This is all so complicated. Why do people have to be so complicated...?' This was one of the many reasons she hated people.

Why was he avoiding her? If anything, shouldn't she had been the one avoiding him? Sure, she wasn't the type of person to do that (unresolved arguments always left her with a foreboding sense of anxiety brewing over her, so she preferred to resolve things as soon as possible, rather than waiting for one person to break first), but if anyone had more motive to put distance between them, it was her.

Yet he was the one running away. And she was the one wistfully staring out of windows, letting her negative emotions swallow her up until all she could do was bitterly glower at grass like it'd insulted her mother.

Maybe Cedric was right about her. Maybe she was a negative influence...

Shouldn't she have been understanding if he needed time away from her? But she couldn't help it if she was a little ticked off. He hadn't bothered to explain why. Their argument wasn't enough of an explanation, she thought they'd forgiven each other for lashing out and nearly breaking their friendship.

She missed him. Again. She was left missing him after he'd disappeared. How was that even fair? He left her waiting, and yet she was suffering for it. She should've been rejoicing, or recovering her energy after that evening, but honestly she was too preoccupied with missing him to do any of that.

He'd become a strange sort of constant in her life over the past two to three months, and some time between their first meeting and this moment, right then, she'd become not only accustomed to his presence... but she even delighted in it. Why? She couldn't fathom why.

Perhaps it was because their interactions were so authentic. It didn't feel like lying. She'd met liars before. One man in the village lied all the time without fail. About small things, about big things in really didn't matter. More than once, his lies had help to exacerbate Gayle's gossip. Margot lied, too, to suit her own beliefs and spread more negativity. Dwyn used to lie a lot as a kid and a toddler, but that was just her overactive imagination.