LXVII | Risks

So far, the track doesn't seem any different from last night's. There are no detours or revealed shortcuts, obstacles, or traps. It appears precisely like yesterday but with fewer drivers now.

I'm probably paranoid, but I don't like it. A void sits in the pit of my stomach, waiting for the worst. Glancing around me, I try to see if anyone else seems nervous. They don't. In fact, everyone is bubbling over with excitement and adrenaline as they whoop and cheer.

I try to shake the feeling off and appreciate S.Coups riding in first. Tonight, most of the racers are tightly packed together, but S.Coups has a good gap between him and the person in second, Mark.

"Your boyfriend is doing well." Sana nudges me, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"He's not my boyfriend," I say, flushed.

"Yet," Sana laughs.

It's becoming hard to listen to jokes about me and Mingyu. They make me flushed, but that doesn't bother me as much as not knowing where me and him are going. I'm not even sure what I want from us.

As my mind goes to him, so do my eyes while I scan the screens till I find him. Mingyu is currently in fourth and gaining on the third place Jooheon.

Close behind Mingyu, is Suga. Suga is riding on Mingyu's tail, almost overtaking Mingyu. And he would have if Mingyu hadn't ensured that Suga stayed behind him by maneuvering to be in front of him the entire time.

I guess no one has friends on the track.

The race progresses to the near halfway point, and still, everything is the same.

Jooheon, likely sensing Mingyu's growing speed, jerks his car in front of Mingyu, using the same move Mingyu is using against Suga.

The sudden change is so quick that Mingyu is forced to brake so that he doesn't hit Jooheon, as Jooheon makes it impossible for Mingyu to pass him.

Too caught up in stopping Mingyu from advancing, Jooheon forgets about Suga, who finally has a chance to move up with Mingyu dealing with Jooheon's block.

Swerving to the right while Mingyu tries to escape to the left, Suga pours all the speed he can into passing both racers.

Jooheon notices too late, and Suga takes third.

As Suga overtakes the two racers, three men four rows below us jump out of their seats and shout. I easily recognize them as some of the other BTS members. Jungkook and his sleeve of tattoos stick out the easiest, though it's not because of his tattoos. He's the one I saw spend the most time with Mingyu when we stayed with them.

While I'm studying the tattooed man, the stadium fills with stunned gasps, along with a some choise words yelled out by angry individuals. Especially from the side of the arena holding the teammates of the racers.

My eyes flit to the screens, trying to find what event I missed. It becomes apparent when I find the camera focusing on S.Coups.

When I wasn't paying attention, the course had deviated from the simple structure it held last night, turning onto a dirt road which was hidden last night. Now the path is lit by lamps, and the other route is blocked off by multiple orange cones and barriers.

However, that's not what caused the concern.

The trail was a simple but somewhat sharp turn. It was a large curve, taking the racers almost halfway back to the stadium.

S.Coups pushes ahead, flying along the road with little worries, until two sets of headlights come at him from the right. Swerving, S.Coups narrowly misses being hit by the two cars—Jooheon and Mingyu.