Chapter 1

Lukas Bondevik

"LUKAS~" Alda. I hear her call out to me from the other side of palace. I'm far too busy in my sketchbook to shout back a response. Actually, I'm not the kind of man you'd hear raising his voice at all. If i could describe myself in a word or two, i would say that i'm a rather sophisticated and well-behaved gentleman; meanwhile, some people call me boring. 

"There you are!" Oh great. There's one of those people. "I've been looking everywhere for you! Could you not hear my voice?"

I shake my head in an appropriate manner. "I could hear you just fine, my dear"

Alda let out a dramatic sigh and draped herself across my lap, causing my sketchbook to drop to the stone floor. "We're getting married soon and you haven't even wanted to spend any time with me." Her big brown eyes start to water and her bottom lip quivers. "Why don't you love me~"

She's really starting to make me uncomfortable with her sudden actions. I sigh and gently wipe away her salty tears with my thumb. "Alda, listen. I do love you, very much." I brush pale ginger locks from her face. "And if you really wanted to do something with me, you could've just asked in the first place."

"Oh." I sense slight embarrassment in voice.

I help her to her feet as i get myself on my own. I reach out and take her right hand with my left. "Come now, my love." We start our walk to the outside of the palace walls, where fresh air gives me a feeling of peace as well as annoying allergies.

"Where are we going?" Alda takes many small but quick steps as she walks at my side. Her shoes click every time her heels make contact with the cobblestone roads, then silence as she follows me away from the roads and into the soft grass.

"Somewhere." I don't know where I'm going. I'm just following my two feet.

A cool breeze brushes my pale blonde hair into my face. I use my unattended hand and glide it through my soft hair. It's so soft. It reminds me of the fur of a cute bunny or maybe a cat. Cats are so cute I want like five.

"I'm cold, Lukas!" Alda's whining brings me back to reality.

I unbutton my expensive coat and take it off. I'm probably never going to see it again, considering what happened last time i gave Alda an article of my finest clothing. I mentally say my goodbyes as i wrap the coat around her form.

Alda kisses my cheek in gratitude. "Thanks Lukie~"

I quietly hum in response. I keep an eye on her as we proceed to walk aimlessly. God, she's cute. I feel a branch brush against my arm, snapping me out of my current thoughts. I look at my surroundings and realize that I've wandered into the woods and I've got Alda with me. If i didn't know myself, I'd probably think that I'm taking this girl into the woods, away from all witnesses, to do naughty things to her. BUT, I'm not the kind of man that would do that sort of thing. At least, I don't think.

I glanced at Alda to see her looking extremely awkward. Oh, right. we've been walking in complete silence. I forgot that some people get uncomfortable in the presence of silence. 

"So... Alda." I break the silence. "Do you believe in magic?" 

She laughs. "Are you being serious right now?"

I look her directly in the eyes. "Yes."

"Oh...um" She looks as if she's really thinking hard, probably thinking up a response that won't hurt my feelings. I should've expected that she isn't into that kind of stuff.

"I'm kidding." That sounded way too serious. Everything I say sounds serious.

She playfully pokes me in the side. "You don't sound like you're fooling around, Lukas! That's not like you!"

"Well, you better believe it" So serious.

"You're one strange man, Lukas!"

"Sure." I was about to take us back the way we came, but then I became aware of myself staring at some random puddle under the shade of an old tree. My eyes are basically glued in place, as well as the rest of my body. I feel like I should go towards the puddle, but i really need to take Alda back before the king realizes that his daughter went into the forest with a charming young man and didn't come back until sundown.

I give the peculiar puddle one last glance and turn back towards a smiling, red-headed princess. "Let's head back, Alda, before the sun goes down and your father has a stroke."

"Okayyyy~" She stares at me as she skips at my side. "Hey Lukie?"

"Hm?" I look at her with calm eyes.

"Can I wear your hair clip?"

"No."

"Pretty Pleaaase?"

"No."

"Pretty Please with a cherry on t-"

"No."

"...?"

"No."