11. "Fuck you, Kyle!"

Start from the beginning

"What..?"

"It was hot." Sam repeats. "The kiss."

"You gay bastard."

"I know!"

Danny gives him a worried look, and he's hesitant to speak, opening his jaw but looking away.

Sam shakes his shoulders. "What is it?!" He questions, desperately wanting to know "What, Danny?!"

"Well, Sam.." Danny mumbles. "It's just that.. I think he might just be messing with you.."

"Why would you think that?"

"Well.. he did go to a party this weekend." Danny says. Sam raises an eyebrow, and shrugs, gesturing that going to a party's not that big of a deal. Danny slowly drops his hands and scratches the back of his head, looking down. "-And he was.. with other girls.." He peeks up, and Sam's eyebrow is raised further, he's leaning forward.

"And?"

"And he was making out with them- so.. I don't think you two should be doing that- when he makes out with a bunch of girls already."

Sam's eyebrows drop, disappointingly. "He was what? But he said- he liked the.." Sam drops his hands as well.

"He could've liked it- but also could've just kissed you for the fun of kissing, like he does with other girls." Danny adds, proposing a pretty accurate guesstimation.

Sam scrunches his face in irritation. "But I'm not one of his 'other girls'." He comes to a realization, crossing his arms and scoffing. "What does he take me for? He thinks he can just.. One, steal my first kiss? At my place!" He violently points a finger up. "And two, kiss more than one girl the day after?!" He then remembered one of Casey's statements, his voice reverberating in his head.

He said, "It's just a kiss."
Maybe he really didn't think of it as anything.

Sam frowns. "I don't know why I got so worked up. Of course- it's not like he likes me." He sighs. "And I honestly shouldn't be upset over it either."

Danny rubs his back. "Nonsense, Sam. He's playing with your feelings."

"Class is about to start." Sam checks his phone, already seeing a message from Casey. He doesn't dare look at it. "Let's go."

~~~

Tanner clears his throat, trying to mask the obvious awkward silence filled between one half of the table. Sam was weighing down the positive energy. The once radiating glow from him was now darkness. A dark purple aura surrounding him. His shoulders were lumpy and he put one hand on the table. He looked down as he dangled his feet. His friend group stared at him, the rest of the table of boys would glance ever now and then to ask what was up with him. Sam would lift his head, smile, and say he was internally studying for a quiz for his next period. Which often was the case, but it was obvious something else was on his mind. It was even more obvious because Danny seemed affected too, often looking at him and sighing. Kyle, further emanating the tensions by looking at him both confused, annoyed and angry. Sam didn't talk to him like he said he would. Now he's upset.

"Alright." Kyle smacks the table. "Danny, what's up with him?"

Danny slowly shakes his head at Kyle.

Tanner taps Kyle's shoulder, leans closer to him, and whispers in his ear. "He not with 'em for lunch today."

He was referring to Casey

"Do you know where Casey is?" He whispers back and asks Tanner.

"Nah."

Kyle looks among his friends, then at Sam specifically. "Sam." He calls.

Sam lifts his head up immediately. "Yeah- yup?" He clears his throat.