1 - 1

“Yes yes… Let me get the intel… Rest assured, my friend. We will come out victorious in this battle.”

It was an average evening for him. Full of fighting. 

But it’s not the fighting you’d expect. 

He put his phone down and sat down on the sofa, then he let out a big long sigh of exhaustion. 

He was inside a small office, with the flickering lights and a big fan attached to the ceiling, mostly for ventilation; it doesn't provide much comfort to him, as he is sweating, both from stress and work. 

He’s a famous journalist who has been actively exposing criminal organizations. It’s not known how he got the information to expose them, some said he’s made an alliance with some Heroes that excels in this type of work. 

“Finally done with your work? X-san?” 

His secretary walked into the office with a bag in her hand. She then placed the bag on the table and took out a box-shaped food container. 

“Thank you.” - He smiled gently at her. “You really saved me.” 

“It’s no big deal, X-san. Just don’t overwork yourself again… You didn’t sleep well these days, right?” - His secretary asked with concern.

“I know… But I cannot rest.” 

He said, then the smile on his face faded, replaced with a serious look on his face. 

“How could I bring myself to rest when there is a single person that could be saved if I raise the awareness? With every news we publish,... We are one step closer to bringing them down.” 

He looked at the wall behind the sofa he’s sitting on, there’s a wall full of papers, pinned on a whiteboard, those are all reports and information, as well as pictures of criminals, with the center is a paper bearing the symbol of a red blade piercing through a golden shattered ring. 

“...” - His secretary let out a sigh, knowing that she couldn’t convince him. “Alright, but if you were to die of this unhealthy lifestyle, that chair will be mine, okay?” 

He chuckled. 

“Of course, of course… Now excuse me, the dealer will contact me soon…” 

“Yes.” 

She left the room, leaving her boss inside, he was anxiously looking at his phone, but at the same time, he felt a bit peckish. He reached for the box, and opened it. It was some freshly cooked rice, with a big piece of fried meat inside, along with some vegetables. 

He smiled, then looked for the plastic spoon in the same bag, then he noticed a creaking sound. 

He noticed the door wasn’t properly closed.

“...” 

He thought his secretary didn’t close it properly, so he stood up and went to lock it. 

But as he was about to place his hand on the doorknob, he felt a sense of pain on his neck, followed by suffocation, all happened in just a second, then he felt something warm leaking out from his neck, and then it overflowed to his mouth. 

It was blood, and before he had fully realized what happened, his throat had been slit open, and blood was bursting out of his artery, he couldn’t speak or yell for help, all he could do was to hold his neck, hoping the blood would stop, but it’s useless, he’s slowly losing his senses, and his body parts, he slowly kneels down and collapsed eventually, laying on a pond of his blood.