you drew stars around my scars

Adeline was walking down the street when she saw this man and her heart started racing. 

When she finally arrived home, she unlocked the door and stepped inside, her heart pounding in her chest. Noah wasn't there yet, but she could feel his presence, like a weight bearing down on her shoulders. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves as she made her way to the bathroom. Once inside, she locked the door and turned on the light, revealing her reflection in the mirror.

Her cheeks were flushed, and her eyes were red from crying. She reached up to touch the mark on her wrist, the one that she had carved into her skin just a few moments ago. It was a reminder of how much pain she was in. She grabbed a razor blade from her drawer and began to slowly carve another mark into her skin, closer to her heart this time. Tears streamed down her face as she did it, but she couldn't stop herself. It was the only way she could feel something, anything, other than the emptiness that consumed her.

Just as she was about to carve another mark, she heard a loud thud coming from the front door. Her heart stopped in her chest. Someone was breaking in! She panicked, dropping the razor blade and hurrying to the door. As she turned the knob, Noah stumbled into the room, his eyes wild with fear and desperation.

"Noah," she breathed, her voice barely audible over the pounding of her heart. He didn't seem to hear her. He was too busy staring at the bloody mess she had made on the floor. Tears streamed down his face as he took in the sight of her, unconscious on the bathroom floor, her wrists and arms covered in cuts and blood. "I can't..." he sobbed, falling to his knees beside her. "I can't see you hurting yourself." He gathered her into his arms, cradling her like a child as he rocked her back and forth, his own body shaking with the force of his tears. "I love you," he whispered, his lips pressed against her hair. "I love you so much."

She stirred in his arms, her eyelids fluttering open. "Noah?" she managed to croak; her voice hoarse from disuse. "What's going on? "He looked at her, his eyes filled with a mix of love, pain, and desperation. "I can't... I can't lose you," he said, his voice breaking.

He helped her sit up, then gently guided her to the bathroom sink. As she leaned against the cool, ceramic surface, he ran a hand through his hair, trying to calm the storm raging inside of him. "I need to get you cleaned up," he said, his voice barely audible.

He filled a basin with warm water and added some soap, then carefully washed her wounds, taking care not to cause her any more pain. As he worked, he noticed the razor blade she'd used to carve the marks into her skin. Horror washed over him as he realized the extent of her self-harm. When he finished cleaning her wounds, he dried her off and carefully wrapped them in gauze, making sure they were secure. Then, he retrieved a pen and a piece of paper from her desk and drew a star on each gauze pad, securing it over her wounds. "These stars," he explained, his voice trembling, "they'll remind you of how much you're loved. By me. No matter what happens, you'll always be loved." 

And like that he drew stars on my scars.

She looked at him, her eyes filled with disbelief. "Noah, I... I don't know what to say."He took her hands in his and held them tightly. "You don't have to say anything," he said softly. "Just know that I'm here for you, and I love you. You're so strong, but sometimes the pain is just too much, isn't it?" She nodded, her eyes filling with tears again. "Well, you don't have to go through it alone anymore. I'm here now, and I'm not going anywhere."

---