Chapter 20: Assessment

8 tests, last place would be expelled, and Izuku had no idea if Aizawa was lying or not. It seemed unnecessarily harsh, but he didn’t exactly have good experiences with teachers being kind. If it was solely directed at Izuku it would be one thing, but the entire class? That was something else entirely.

Apparently the rest of the class thought the same but they couldn’t do anything except get ready for the tests. They all lined up in seat order, where Izuku learned his number neighbours were Shoji and a shy boy named Kouda, and got ready for the 50m dash. Fortunately, Izuku had the perfect spell for this. It was the only time spell he knew how to use, and it wasn’t the sort of thing he could use all the time, but for controlled conditions like this it was perfect. The line in front of him steadily grew shorter. Iida was in his element. Uraraka tried lightening her clothes but it wasn’t clear if that had any impact. Kirishima just ran as fast as he could.

Then it was Izuku’s turn. Before the starting shot went off, he made a wide circular motion with his arms. Snapping his hands back together, a glyph appeared at his feet. It looked like a clock, the hands spinning faster and faster as a glow enveloped Izuku’s body. Ten seconds should be more than enough.

The shot went off and Izuku ran as fast as he could, or at least he did from his perspective. To everyone else, he blinked across the 50m, skidding to a halt past the finish line in barely a tenth of a second. He barely registered the looks of disbelief on his classmates faces.

“What was that?” somebody asked.

That was the Stolen Time spell. He could compress time down so that ten seconds for him took only a fraction of that to everyone else. However, whatever time he stole had to be given back. To everyone else, it looked like he was moving slower, but to Izuku it looked like everything was faster as he gave back the ten seconds over a longer period so he wasn’t entirely useless.

Iida seemed to be gaping at him, but then he did have a speed quirk and was just beaten in a running race. Izuku would have to apologise later. Aizawa raised an eyebrow but kept them moving.

The next test was the standing long jump. Bakugo and Aoyama, who had a navel laser quirk, did quite well here. Yaoyorozu made a pole to vault across and Todoroki launched himself with ice. As for Izuku, he jumped as far as he could then made a platform beneath his feet before he hit the ground. He jumped from platform to platform until he crossed the sandpit. He turned back to Aizawa.

“How far do you want me to go?” he asked.

“There’s fine,” Aizawa said, making a note.

When he returned to his classmates, he couldn’t ignore their awed whispers.

“Dude, your quirk is insane!” the electric blonde boy, Kaminari, said.

“Yeah! First shooting balls, then super speed and now platforms! Is there anything it can’t do?” Ashido asked.

“It does seem very versatile,” a boy with a bird head, Tokoyami, commented.

Izuku stepped back, trying not to shrink, but it had been a while since he’d faced scrutiny like this.

“It’s pretty useful, but it’s only because I practised a lot. You guys all have great quirks too!”

Thankfully he was saved by Aizawa moving them onto the next test.

His classmates were right about one thing. Magic was very versatile, but even so it wasn’t useful for every test. It couldn’t help with the sit ups and push ups. He probably could have used Stolen Time again on the side to side jumps, but having to give back a minute of time would have been a pain. He watched as everyone else did the ball throw. Bakugo added an explosion to his.