chapter 1: forgotten

In a world of super powers, one would think that people would have a skewed view of normal. When someone was more powerful than a locomotive or could leap tall buildings with a single bound, what did normal even mean? Turns out, plenty of things were normal. People still had rice for breakfast. They still road the train to work and got freaked out over deadlines. Everyday concerns for everyday folks that hadn't changed since the dawn of civilisation.

Izuku Midoriya was normal.

He had a mom and a dad. He had an older brother and sister. He went to school everyday and did homework at night. All totally normal. He lived in a house (less normal), in a neighbourhood of houses just like it. Nothing out of the ordinary or remarkable about him.

Perfectly normal, and that was the problem.

Izuku pushed open the front door to his house and called out a greeting. Judging by the shoes on the rack, there should be other people in the house but nobody called back. He made his way through the house, pushing open the door to the living room. Nobody there. There was a crash from downstairs in the basement, then everything clicked. His sister was in the training room with Dad. They wouldn't be back up for a while.

Slipping into the kitchen, he dug around for something to eat. His lunch had been stolen and he was now starving. He quickly made a sandwich, hoping to make himself scarce before anyone would notice. Unfortunately he wasn't so lucky.

"You know, Mom would kill you if she caught you snacking."

Izuku nearly jumped out of his skin. Standing in the entrance to the kitchen was his big brother Haru. Haru was over a foot taller than him, with a firm muscular build. He had the same blonde hair as their father, but his green eyes were the same as Izuku, inherited from their mother. Haru glanced at the sandwich Izuku was holding.

"Dropped your lunch again?"

"Something like that," Izuku said.

"You've got to work on your clumsiness little bro. One of these days you'll trip and break something really important, and you won't even be able to blame Mizuki for pushing you," Haru teased, gently pushing Izuku aside so he could make his own sandwich.

"I thought you were going to do more training after school?"

"I was, but then I overused my quirk in class and got a major migraine. Recovery Girl would have had my hide if I'd tried using it any more today," Haru said.

Both his older siblings were students at UA in the hero course. It was almost expected of them, given who their father was. His sister was a second year and, as she liked to constantly brag, was top of her class. His brother was a first year, having not long started at the prestigious high school. Izuku would love to follow in their footsteps. He'd love to be as amazing as them, to be a hero and keep people safe. If only he wasn't...

Haru was gone when Izuku zoned back in. When he left the kitchen, he could hear his mothers voice from the living room. He was about to say hello to her but then he heard what she was actually saying.

"It's been too long since we've seen each other Mitsuki, seriously! Why did you have to move away last year? We'll have to organise a girls day out for us to relax a bit. No I'm fine!"

Right, Mom was talking to Mitsuki on the phone. He shouldn't disturb her.

He went upstairs, the sounds of Mom's conversation and the occasional banging from the basement fading with the distance. Izuku passed the doors leading to his family's bedrooms, down the slightly narrow corner to his room. It was smaller than the other bedrooms in the house but he didn't mind. He still remembered when he was seven and feeling like such a big boy getting his own room. It was a little weird after sharing with Haru for so long, but his parents trusted him with his own space.