Cold & Miserable

Sniffling as he walks, China stops behind Russia, who's battling a thorny bush he had brushed up against.

The country lets out a string of curses in his native tongue as he finally rips his pant leg free from the bush.

They've been out here for what feels like hours. And China's determination has long since vanished.

Both men are miserable but are too prideful to say anything to the other.

Their packs weigh heavily on their shoulders as they trudge through the unfamiliar terrain.

Continuing along China stifles a violent shiver. He's soaked and miserable, he eyes Russia, who's moving at a brisk pace. He must be miserable too... he isn't normally this quiet. China thinks, speeding up a bit to keep up.

The further they walk, the worse the fog gets and the colder the pair becomes.

China, once again lost in thought, follows Russia, who's plowing through the undergrowth, leaving an obvious trail. I wonder how long it's been... "Hey Russia?" China pipes up before tripping over a tree root and crashing into Russia, knocking them both over.

They lay there stunned for a second before Russia shoves China off of him. "Would you watch where you are going?" He grumbles, getting to his feet. He stands there for a moment before leaning down and grabbing China by the pack and lifting him to his feet.

"What?" Russia asks, causing China to glance at him, confused. "You were going to ask me something."

China gasps, "Oh! Right." He smiles sheepishly. "Uh... it's a few things, actually." China rubs the back of his warm neck with a chilly hand. He retracts his hand, regretting the action.

"Go on, speak." Russia orders, turning to continue to walk.

"Well- why are we moving so far from the edge of the forest? Shouldn't we stay near it?"

Russia snorts, "No. We need a shelter. We're going to get sick in this weather if we stay in it too long." He pauses. "And since we're doing this, surely you want to explore a bit, right?" He glances back at China, who nods.

"You have a watch, right?" China asks as he narrowly avoids tripping over another root.

"Yeah." Russia mumbles, slowing down.

"What time is it?" China's teeth chatter as he comments, "They really couldn't have picked a worse day for this stupid dare."

China watches as Russia rolls up his sleeve, checks his watch, and then announces the time out loud. "10:37 am." he pauses before responding. "They want us to lose. That's why they chose today. Are you thinking of quitting?"

Shaking his head to Russia's question, China's heart drops realizing it's only been a few minutes since they've entered the woods, yet it feels like an eternity.

"So... what are we looking for? You know, for a shelter-" the howling of wolves cuts China off. Oh, I guess we really aren't alone out here... China nervously chuckles.

"A dry cave that's out of this damn fog." Russia stops, getting China to bump into him yet again, as chilling laughter echoes from right in front of them.

The laughter sounds like a little girl's.

China pokes his head around Russia's body. He squints, trying to make out the vague human-like shape standing just within the safety of the fog.

Another laugh sounds from behind them. China turns to find a short creature standing in the open. Brave enough to venture out of the fog and show itself to the newcomers. China presses his pack to Russia's as he states at the creature.

It has a mouth in the middle of its face, no nose, eyes, ears, just a mouth. It has talon-like fingers and feet, spiky spines along its back, and a powerful-looking tail. The creature has scales all over its body that are the same color as the fog surrounding them.

As the creature's laugh again, this time in unison, China can see into its mouth rows upon rows of jagged teeth line it.

'Ah' China tries to speak, to say something to Russia, who grabs his arm and yanks him off to the right.

"RUN!" Russia bellows as China stumbles. China gets shoved in front of Russia, the pair run through the woods, weaving around trees and dodging around the thick patches of undergrowth.

The childish laughter turns into demonic screeches of glee as the creatures give chase.

Oh god- there's more! China thinks as one lunges at him from the fog. It's talon slashing through the sleeve of his jacket.

Adrenalin, taking over China. He rips his arm away from the monster and runs even faster. He's aware of Russia running only a footstep behind him. China is also aware of the Monster's screeches dying away in the distance, disappearing into the fog.

The countries don't dare stop, not until both are sure that they are safe.

When Russia calls for China to slow down, the two stumble to a halt, their footsteps heavy.

China can't breathe as he rests his hands on his knees.

As he eventually regains his ability to breathe, he turns to Russia, who isn't any better.

The pair remain silent as they recover from the scare.

"I guess the rumors were true about there being monsters in the woods." Russia mutters before starting to laugh. It's a humorless laugh, more of a way to cope with the shock of it all.

China joins in, "Yeah." China laughs. "That was just like a horror movie."

"Let's find some shelter before it gets dark," Russia mutters. "I don't want to be out here when it's dark."

"Agreed."