Into the Woods

A car filled with three countries turns onto a dirt road traveling a little ways before they reach their destination, what feels like the middle of nowhere, but in reality is just a few minutes from town.

China clasps his hands together as they rest in his lap.

Squeezing his hands until his knuckles turn white, he then releases them, only to do it again. This repetitive action helps him calm down, but he's still a bundle of nerves.

The prideful country sitting next to him shows no signs of being anxious, though he isn't one for showing emotion. 

The pair get out of the vehicle, retrieving their things from the trunk of the car and walking off the road. Down the slope, they go.

China, tripping over his feet, stumbles after his tall companion, trying not to faceplant.

As the tall male stops in his tracks only a few meters from the first line of trees, China, still stumbling, runs into him.

Quickly sidestepping so he's now standing next to him, China looks slightly up at the tri-colored country.

In a low voice, China asks him, "Are we really going to do this, Russia?"

"Yes." Is all Russia utters, his eyes fixed on a faraway point in the woods.

China turns his head towards the woods, taking in the beautiful scene in front of him, towering trees that must be hundreds of years old stand proud, their roots firmly planted in the ground. The mist that covers the ground, growing taller and thicker as the forest continues.

China suppresses a shiver, cold; the cloudy weather and the near constant cool breeze rolling in from the east surely doesn't help.

I'll warm up once we're in the woods. China thinks, shoving his hands into the pocket of his jacket. The pair stand still, waiting for the other to make the first move towards what they both believe to be the stupidest decision of their lives.

"Are you going to move? Or are you too chicken?" The sound of India's taunting voice irks China. He turns around to shout a response when he spots just how close India is to her vehicle.

She's firmly on the road, standing a good foot away from where the grass starts. Her vehicle's door is open and her car is well within reach for her to get in and drive should anything frightening come out of the woods.

China turns back around his retort now forgotten as he smiles. I'll show them they'll be talking about it for the rest of their lives. China smugly thinks his nervousness dying down as determination takes its place.

"Let's go." China murmurs to Russia, I just need to get into the woods, it'll be easy after that, and it's only 24 hours. Not that long, by 10am tomorrow I'll be back home. As China ponders just how short 24 hours can be, Russia takes a step forward, then another.

China is quick to follow, his hands finding the straps of his backpack, which holds half of the supplies for both him and Russia.

Russia carries the bigger pack that holds the rest of the supplies. As the pair cross into the woods, China can hear the vehicle door slam shut as India climbs in and drives away.

The pair continue to walk, getting engulfed in the fog.

China, swallowing back the fear that has creeped up his spine, forces himself to be optimistic.

Things will go smoothly. He tells himself.

One night, out in the haunted woods.

Nothing's going to happen.

Right?