𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟓

Start from the beginning

I suck in a harsh breath that burned my throat. "Hell! That was the best one hundred bucks I've ever made." JJ continued loudly. "When I say count me in on all these grocery deliveries, I mean it." He finished with a loud laugh.

I close my eyes for a moment, listening to his voice whilst I breathed in and out slowly. My mind was all over the place. And when Rafe tried to sound apologetic when he was the one who ran over to us. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm so bloody confused.

I open my eyes when I hear JJ's footsteps off the peer, whilst I hear him entering the boat loudly. His footsteps loud on the bottom of the boat.

Pope gently takes his hands off mine, crossing his arms over his chest, whilst he looked down at his lap, a slight frown pulled at his dry cut lips.

I tightened my lips together as I quickly hid my hands behind me, clasped together. As I turned my back to Pope, my eyes immediately on JJ's as he carry's his feet closer from the end of the boat.

His eyebrows were scrunched together, his eyes flickering between Pope and I. "Mae? What's wrong? What happened?" He began to question, whilst he inched closer until he was only inches apart from me.

I swallow harshly, my throat slightly bobbing. JJ's eyes flicker to Pope and he gives me another soft glance before looking more closely at Pope.

His eyes flickered as his face drops. "Man, what happened to your face?" JJ asked lowly, whilst he pressed the side of his hip to mine. He pulls Pope's hat to the side slightly as Pope pulls it back down.

JJ's eyes immediately go wide, "Jesus!" He basically shouted, as his eyes immediately flickered to me once he let his arms dangle by his sides.

His beautiful blue eyes looked at me knowingly. Like he knew something happened to me, too. His eyes were darker now, lowered, hooded. He tightened his jaw as his angered eyes flicker to my arms that were squished to my sides as I continued to hide my hands behind me.

"Mae mae." He said warningly, before he snatched my arms rather quickly, my hands unclasping whilst my hand collides with his. His hand was under mine.

I wince at the sudden touch and his eyes immediately flicker to me. "Who did this?" He asked lowly, his voice had a soft but hard tone to it. Like he wasn't asking— he was demanding an answer.

Chills ride up my bare back.

I tilt my head to the side with a small shake, "J—"

He shakes his head along with me, letting out a loud heated sigh, cutting my words off. "Mae mae, your knuckles are bruised. Tell me who did this, and I'll fix it." He tells me rather softly.

A soft smile appears on my lips at his words, "Man, don't worry. The bruises on her knuckles aren't nothing compared to Toppers face." Pope says, but his voice was low.

JJ ignored him for a moment, his eyes flickering back to my knuckles as he gently placed his thumb onto one of my knuckles, softly caressing it as if. His eyes were practically glaring at the bruises.

"J, be careful. It hurts.." I whisper to him, as low as I could. Because JJ is the only one who I can be vulnerable with. He knows that. He's only vulnerable with me, too.

His jaw clenched more tightly at my words, like they hurt him. Like he couldn't stand the thought of anything hurting me.

"Mae mae, what happened?" He asked so softly, though his face was a whole different story. His face was hardened. His lips were rolled up into a snarl.

He breathed out harshly. "Rafe and Topper jumped me." Pope spoke up lowly, his voice slightly cracking at the end.

My heart sank.