CHAPTER TWO

“Don’t go in there!” Mei Mei’s voice rang out from outside.

“Mei Mei!” Kibou called out to the lady just as the large doors enveloped him in complete darkness. The large creek from the doors echoed throughout the temple. “Shit.” He cursed breathlessly as he stared into the pitch darkness.

His staggered breaths filled the silent temple as he looked around for another source of light. A flash of green light illuminated the darkness, drawing Kibou’s attention as he quickly turned his head towards the source.

The bright green lights flicked to life on the wall-mounted torches, forming a narrow path leading deeper into the temple. Kibou scanned the room once more. The door was nowhere to be found behind him.

Piles of gold coins, gems, jewelry, and other valuables could be found scattered across the floor of the abandoned room. Long claw marks could be seen all over the walls, tearing through the old sheets of paper hung up on the walls. The teen could only make out a few unfamiliar words and symbols with the green light, hesitantly making his way through.

As he moved deeper into the temple, the unlight torches in front of him flickered to life. The whispers he heard outside resurfaced, growing louder as if slowly guiding him.

(meanwhile)

Mei Mei cursed under her breath as she examined the old temple’s exterior. Her crow cried as it flew over to her from the doorway of the closed entrance. The pair of keys rattled from its beak as it perched on her outstretched arm.

“How did you get out here?” She seemingly asked her crow.

‘CAW!’ It cried as if answering.

She removed the key from its beak and examined the red gem on the metal loop, as footsteps and loud panting could be heard behind her. Koichi stumbled out of the forest, slowly making his way to her. “Did you… catch up to Kibou?”

Looking over at the boy, she shook her head. “He’d already entered the temple by the time I arrived. The doors closed in on him before I could get up there. My crow seemed to have flown back out without him noticing.”

Koichi glared at the perched bird, who was pecking at its wings. “You stupid bird! Look what you’ve done!” The crow cried at the boy. “What do we do now, Miss Mei Mei?”

She raised an eyebrow at the boy. “‘We’? You stay here in case your friend returns. I’ll go in and do what I need. You’ll just get in my way.” She said, handing him the keys.

Koichi huffed. “I can’t just leave Kibou in there alone; he’s my friend! If you’re not going to find him, I will.” He gave the taller woman a stern look as he stood his ground. Mei Mei returned his stare silently before pulling her red lips into a small smile.

“You’re cute kid,” she chuckled. She reached into her uniform pocket and pulled out two golden headpieces, each with a small blue amulet in the center. “Wear this and keep it on your head at all times, unless you want to get possessed.”

“Possessed? By what?” Koichi questioned the woman as she released her crow and put the headpiece on herself before retrieving her black bag from beside her.

“Just wait to find out, kid. You’ll see.” She said casually as she climbed the steps and approached the large doors with Koichi following behind her. The door creaked loudly as she opened one of the large doors. Instead of being met by darkness like Kibou, they found piles of deteriorating skulls caked with cobwebs and small disfigured mutant creatures.

Koichi gasped at the sight of the skulls and small creatures. “Ew. What are those?”

“Cursed spirits. Don’t worry, they're dead.” Mei Mei said as she entered the temple.