37 ☆ past, present, and post

Magsimula sa umpisa

"It hasn't been that long–at least a month or two," I clear my throat, causing him to nod slowly. "Mother isn't that happy with me about it. She found out a few nights ago, and now with the press releasing this information, I'm sure she'll be even more aggravated."

Dad didn't expect me to be so nonchalant about it. I could see his eyes widen at the dismissal of her feelings. "How's your mother doing?"

"She's her usual self. I hope you don't think we still get along," I chuckle, pausing. "Things have changed so drastically that I almost doubted you'd remember all the things that have happened."

He shakes his head. "Sora, I..." He trails off, swallowing. "I remember everything. I just couldn't come forward and meet you like I have now. I was too afraid that you'd still choose your mother above all."

I furrow my eyebrows. "I wanted to save you back then. I know you were young, so I let it pass–but I loved you, even if it wasn't apparent."

I shake my head, pursing my lips. "I knew you loved me, father. I was just too young and blind to see it. Mother had taken control of me, and–"

"No. You deserved a proper father. Your mother, she... she takes, and she takes," He sighs. "And he took you from me. Maybe you're satisfied with where you are now, and I'm proud of you for making it this far. But, I almost feel... regretful, at the fact that I couldn't give you a proper childhood."

God. The tears are building in my eyes. Remembering everything that happened was like getting stabbed right through the heart by someone you trusted the most. "Dad, I understand you. I understand you more now then I would've back then," I place my hand over his. He blinks away his tears once he sees my eyes getting glassy. With a tear slipping, I use my other hand to brush it away. "Please don't blame yourself. I've... missed you more than words could describe. I'm thankful that we met after so long."

He begins to cry, and I tighten my grip around his hand. "I just can't forget how she forced me to push you away like–just for you to become her underling," He continues shaking his head furiously. "She's done you so wrong. I'm sorry I couldn't save you."

"Dad, no–I promise you... I've saved myself," I try to smile through it, showing him that I've become stronger. He stares at me through his pristine eyes, the feeling of home surrounding me in its embrace. "I've made it this far without her. I like where I am now. I'm happy."

"You're happy?" He begins to grin, pride displayed on his lips. "That's good. That's good, then. I don't have to worry about what your mother's done. I'm happy if you're happy."

"Two–" The server stops once she sees us, swallowing. "Sorry. Was I interrupting something?"

"No, not at all," I swat away my tears and let Dad go, leaning back. "Thank you for the food."

"No problem, Miss Kwon," Oh, right. I forgot I'm a headliner right now. "And don't worry–your location here is safe with us. Eat with ease."

"Thank you," I bow my head as she places two soups in front of us, and an extra place of meat. She bows once more with the platter in her hands, walking away after.

"You still like that, right?" I nod, smiling. Dad sighs with relief, using his hand to wipe away his flooding tears. "That's good. I was worried you haven't been eating, but at least not a lot of you has changed–just your appearance."

And I smile, staring down at the soup. Placing my chopsticks in, I take a big bite, slurping down. "Wow!" I say through my stuffed mouth, pointing at the soup. "This–this is really, really go–good!"

Dad chuckles, using his thumb to wipe something off my lips. "Gosh, you've barely eaten any, and you're already talking? Eat more, then. Eat as much as you want."