Standing up from my chair, I took one last look at the new girl. I stopped for a moment when I met her gaze. She was empty and didn't smile the way she was before. I saw the same cold face I saw at the edge of the mountain for the first time.

I picked up my phone from the chair I was sitting on and headed towards Minji, who was waiting for me in front of the wooded slope. She was smiling, but you could see she was hurt by the way Hanni treated her.

"This way," Minji said smiling, then started walking.

***

"Can I ask you something?" I spoke breaking the silence.

"Of course."

We've been walking in the woods for a while now and honestly? I feel very good. It's dark, but the moon still shines brightly, you can see almost everything.

"Why does Hanni dislike you that much?"

The girl chuckled in front of me and kept walking.

"Honestly, I don't know," Minji said before stopping in front of me and turning around. "But let's just say I'm used to being treated like this by her."

She smiled, almost making me believe that she was no longer in pain. But her eyes sparkled and betrayed her true emotions. As soon as I saw them, something squeezed my heart.

"It doesn't look like it," I said.

Minji frowned at me, then turned back and started walking again. "You know nothing."

You could barely hear her voice, but it was still there.

The way down was somehow easier than I expected. When I came up, everything seemed much steeper, but I don't think we're going down the same way we came up.

The wind is blowing and the bugs are singing extremely loud. Everything around me shouts that no one has been here before. I wonder what Danielle was doing there?

She was standing very close to the ravine and her face... I've never seen a look like this before. I couldn't move and I was scared for a moment. Her eyes looked very tired, just like her whole body. She looked weak, like an overused book cover.

I don't know how to feel about her. I don't even know why should I feel a certain way about her. Probably because she's Hanni's friend and I don't want anyone to hurt my friend.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been this tired. There was a lot of sudden socialization today. I talked a lot with Hyein and Jungwon, they're really fun to be around. People really seems more normal here than at home so far.

"We're here," Minji said, standing in front of me.

After coming out of the forest, we walked to a small shop, which was close to our house. I took a deep breath and turned to Minji.

"Shall I walk you home completely?" she asked softly.

"Oh, no, I'll find my way home from here."

"Are you sure? I don't think I will go back to the others."

"Why?"

"My mom has a fever and I don't really want to leave her at home."

"I'm sorry," I said, "Thank you for walking me this far, the house is really just a hop away now."

"Alright, goodnight then," Minji replied and walked in the other direction.

I watched for a while as the girl faded more and more in the darkness, then I started walking home too.

***

The house was completely covered in silence and darkness when I got home. Everyone was already asleep.

I was terribly exhausted today because of the many new faces, as Hanni said, my social battery run out. Speaking of Hanni, she was acting very strange today.

She didn't turn around once to see if I was behind her when we were looking for the lost girl. But if I think about it, the forest girl was even weirder, but I don't want to think anymore.

I went up the stairs and went straight to the bathroom to take a shower. I didn't feel hungry, so after I managed to wash the dirts off, I brushed my teeth and went to bed.

I love sleeping. This is the time when our brain shuts down and drains all its worries. Everyone calms down and the next day we see things completely different. There's just one problem. I can't fall asleep.

Something bothers me. As soon as I close my eyes, all the questions that crossed my mind today appears at once. My stomach isn't happy about it either. I feel like I'm nervous about something.

Isn't that's just great?

***

I don't think I've ever heard birds sing so loudly in my life. But according to them, I somehow managed to fall asleep.

"Haerin!" I heard my mom yelling from downstairs.

Oh yes, it's morning.

I feel like I haven't slept in weeks. My head and limbs ache terribly, as if someone is constantly stabbing me.

I slowly sat up on the bed and tried to carefully open my eyes, but I couldn't. I forgot to draw the curtains in front of the window and the light of the sun entered my room as soon as it could.

After stretching I rubbed my eyes and opened them. I went blind like six times, but at least my eyes are open now. I left my room and headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

After combing my hair, I went downstairs to Mom, who was busy working in the kitchen. I don't know what she's doing, but it doesn't look good. She's doing something in one of the plates and the ceiling is almost invisible because of the smoke.

"Mom?" I asked questioningly.

"Good morning sweetie," she replied as her eyes were fixed on the oven. "I have a small task for you."

I frowned.

"For me?"

"Yes, yes."

"Where's Dad?"

"He got a fever."

"What?" I asked surprised and turned towards the living room.

Dad was lying on the armchair blowing his nose. Turning to me, he smiled and then sneezed.

"Are you okay?" I asked laughing.

"I've been better," he replied with a smile, then turned back to the TV.

Dad gets sick at least once every summer. Last year he vomited for one day and the next day he cut the grass in the yard as if nothing had happened.

"What do I do?" I asked mom.

"I need oil from the little shop."

Oh, I thought it would be something more serious.

"That's all?"

"Yes."

We're in a village so there aren't that many people right? If I go out in my pajamas I won't be judged, will I?

"Okay then, I'll be right back."

"Thanks sweetie, I love you."

"Love you too."