Masks

"Way to go! For a second, I thought you were both goners!" Nemona sighed with relief, grinning at the two of them. Milo nodded and opened his mouth to respond, only to notice that the strange creature that had saved him was now staring intently at the lighthouse about a hundred yards away from where they were now.

"I wonder what it's looking at the lighthouse for..." Milo said as Nemona tilted her head in confusion, noticing it as well. The creature walked out of the cave, but only made it about ten steps towards the lighthouse before a shining orange light enveloped the creature again. However this time, the creature let out a soft groan of pain before collapsing onto the ground, its form shifting into the same way it looked when Milo first encountered it on the beach.

Milo and Nemona both bolted out of the cave, concerned for the Pokémon's health. Nemona even called out, "Whoa! What's wrong?!"

"Looks like it did on the beach...when I first found it, it looked like this." Milo muttered, crossing his arms. "I fed it and that helped it out. Helped it turn into that super form we saw. But it also used a few high-power moves and battled that Houndoom...I really don't know. Any ideas Nemona?"

"Maybe it used up all its power?" Nemona mused, looking down at the Pokémon carefully. "What is this Pokémon, anyway? It kinda looks like a Cyclizar, but I've never seen one quite like this before...And now it looks so different from a minute ago. You think it's okay?"

Milo thought about it, concern evident on his face. "Hard to say..."

"You can't tell either, huh, Milo?" Nemona remarked, sighing as she rubbed her head. "Well, all that aside, I'm seriously glad to have you back up here in one piece! You know...that battle down there was really something. You and this fella looked perfectly in sync facing down that Houndoom!"

"Were we? It was acting on its own there. It jumped in front of me...saved my life." Milo responded with a shake of the head, causing Nemona to gasp in shock.

"What?! You didn't even tell it what to do?" Nemona asked, with Milo nodding in response. Nemona glanced down at the strange Pokémon with the calculating eye of an experienced Trainer. "I guess it's not like you're this Pokémon's Trainer yet, huh..."

Both teens were startled when the creature suddenly got up, letting out a growl-like yelp as it reared on its hind legs and landed all fours again. Nemona and Milo both smiled with relief that the Pokémon was seemingly alright.

"Oh good! Looks like it perked up a little!" Nemona said brightly before glancing at Milo. "Do you think this fella was the one making that mysterious cry before?"

"Giaos..." the strange Pokémon growled, sniffing the air in front of it. Somehow this made Nemona more and more excited, because she was beaming with sheer enthusiasm once again.

"Oh man, oh man, oh man! The more I look at this Pokémon, the more mysterious it seems!" Nemona practically squealed, turning to Milo excitedly. "If you do become its Trainer, you gotta let me battle against it!"

"Uh...you know what? Sure, why not?" Milo ended up saying, trying to process the several leaps in logic Nemona had just made in rapid succession.

Milo's poor brain was further fried when Nemona pulled out her black Rotom Phone and said, "Let's exchange numbers so we can get in touch if we somehow get separated again!"

"O-okay." Milo managed to reply, flushing at how forward the girl was in getting his contact info. A few seconds later Milo and Nemona had exchanged numbers digitally. "I appreciate you looking out for me, Nemona. Thanks."

Nemona beamed at Milo, pumping a fist. "Anytime, mi amigo! And here - this'll let you teach your Pokémon a move to help it battle stronger opponents!"