chapter thirteen.

chapter thirteen.
rising and falling

THE NEXT MORNING I WAS SURPRISED THAT EVERYONE stayed

THE NEXT MORNING I WAS SURPRISED THAT EVERYONE stayed. Even Zoya, though she complained. We'd agreed to split into two groups. I would go with Tamar's groups which included, Genya, Nadia, Adrik, David, and Mischa. As much as I hated the idea of splitting up, I was injured, and the fever I had still was breaking and I would only slow the other group down.

Mal and Alina's group consisted of Zoya, Harshaw, and Tolya, they would travel into the Sikurzoi because we were so close to the border as it was, so they knew they'd be facing an increased military presence, but hoped to blend in with the refugees trying to get through the Sikurzoi before the first snows came.

If they weren't back from the mountains in two weeks, Tamar would meet with any forces the Apparat might send to Caryeva. I didn't like the idea of sending her and Nadia alone, but Alina and I couldn't cut our group down any further. Shu raiders were known to pick off Ravkan travelers near the border, and we wanted to be prepared for trouble. Tamar at least knew the Soldat Sol, and I tried to reassure myself that she and Nadia were both experienced fighters.

I feared separating from Alina, I wasn't sure what I'd do if any soldiers raided her or the group. I couldn't think too far ahead. Every time I did, I felt panic tugging at me. It was like being underground again, with no air to breathe, waiting for the world to come down around me.

Alina's team left at sunrise, leaving our group In the shade of the overhang. Only I was awake, watching. Alina made her way over to me, "You know what this means do you?"

I smiled weakly and nodded. "I know it's only two weeks but..." she pulled me into a tight embrace.

"I'll miss you too."

"Stop," I mumbled into her neck. "When you say it like that it sounds like you're never coming back."

She pulled away, grabbing my shoulders and squeezing. "I'll always make my way back to you, know that. You are like a sister to me after all."

I nodded and pulled her back in for a hug. "Promise me you'll stay alive."

"I promise."

"Alina!" Mal whispered yelled.

I pulled away and pushed her in Mal's direction, "Go. I'll be awaiting your return."

⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾ ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☁︎

At dawn the next morning, while the others damped the firewood and gnawed at pieces of hardtack, I drew on my coat and walked back a little way to look at the falls. The mist was dense in the valleys. From here, the bones at the base of the falls just looked like trees. It was a quiet little place in the woods, somewhere to think, to relax, to be free of the continuous urge to reach out to the Darkling.