chapter twelve.

chapter twelve.
The Rise of a Grisha

AS WINTER DREW TO A CLOSE, TALK TURNED TO the King and Queen's fete at the Grand Palace

AS WINTER DREW TO A CLOSE, TALK TURNED TO the King and Queen's fete at the Grand Palace. The Grisha Summoners were expected to put on a demonstration of their power to entertain the nobles, and much time was spent discussing the most impressive showing.

"Just don't call it 'performing'" Genya warned, "the darkling can't stand it. He thinks the winter fete is a giant waste of Grisha time." I thought he might have a point. The Materalki workshops buzzed morning and night with orders from the palace for cloth and gems and fireworks.

The summoners spent hours at the stone pavilion honoring their "demonstrations." Given that Ravka was at war and had been for over a hundred years, it all seemed a little frivolous. Still, I hadn't been to many parties, and it was hard not to get caught up in the talk of silks and dances and flowers.

❂♕

Baghra had no patience for me and Alina, If either of us lost focus for even a moment, she'd smack us with her cane and say, "Dreaming of dancing with the dark prince?"

I often ignored her, being as that was mostly directed towards me. But she also wasn't completely wrong about it either, I hadn't stopped thinking about that kiss we'd shared many weeks ago. I hadn't told anyone about it either, and I wasn't going to.

He'd disappeared, without a proper goodbye, just nothing. But Genya had told me that he'd left for the north. The other Grisha speculated that he would have to put in an appearance at the winter fete, but no one could be sure.

Again and again though against my will, I found myself on the verge of wanting to tell Genya, it was like guilt gripped me every time I saw her. Like I had sinned and hadn't asked for forgiveness and I hated it because it just got harder and harder each day.

You're being ridiculous, I told myself sternly. It didn't mean anything. He probably has kissed many Grisha girls, what makes me any more special than them? I thought of what Baghra would say if she knew he'd kissed me and I had been contemplating all of these things and feelings, probably something along the lines of, "it meant nothing, you stupid girl."

But only if she knew that he'd kissed me, she would be disappointed in me, but it was nothing compared to how disappointed I felt for hiding it from Genya. Why are you even hiding it from Genya? It's not like she's going to care.

But as I always did, I pushed the feelings away and went on. But that was the hardest part, everyone that had been around me over the past two months had stirred a change in me. I started understanding emotions better, I started understanding what my feelings for Genya were. But I wasn't ready to face it yet.