iv. true colours

❝ After death, the human brain lives on for seven minutes, to replay its best memories ❞

present day
Amaya

The drive to the Milligans house was peaceful. I leaned my head against the window as I watched the trees and houses go by in flash, almost like a smeared painting. The conifer was radiant and full of colour, and I found it strange how a place so dull like Grave could be surrounded by so much colour.

Anna noticed me staring out the window, mesmerised, "The forest is beautiful in spring isn't it?" The woman's words made me snap out of my daydreaming state, looking at her with a soft smile as I nodded, "We never left the orphanage much, all the colours outside are...captivating." I spoke softly as my eyes cast back to the window, watching now as houses come into view. Everything was so different since the last time I had passed by here. There were numerous new houses, I barely recognised any of them from when I used to live here. And then there it was.

One patch of empty land, the grass now growing green but once was torched black with ash. My grandfather had bought the portion of land where our house had been built on, and put a barrier around the area for nothing to ever be built on it again, and that's were my parents and Milo were now buried. Three marble slabs lay on the ground , one beside the other, each with their name engraved on it; Daniel Rossi, Katherine Rossi, Milo Rossi. Flowers surrounded the area, as a sign of respect and condolences. My mother never liked flowers, she had told me that when she died she didn't want flowers on her death bed, that they were just a sign that only in death did people gift flowers. The same way that many people would only visit their family and relatives on their funeral, and while they were still alive.

It pained me to see their resting place after so many years, my heart felt heavy. I could feel my throat closing up, a sob threatening to escape, but I pushed it down. I didn't want to cry, not in front of Anna and Norman. But as I was wiping the stray tear that had run down my cheeks, Norman saw me through the rearview mirror. "We're sorry Amaya. You didn't deserve what happened to your family." Anna looked out the window, noticing the empty patch of land. A sad smile adorned her features as she looked at me. In the few minutes I had known Anna and Norman, I could tell they were nice people.

"It's okay. It has been ten years since they passed, I've healed. I know that's what my mother would have wanted." The blonde woman took a hold of my hand, squeezing it reassuringly. "I'm sure she would be very proud of you, Amaya, and we will do everything we can to make you feel as comfortable as possible." Norman nodded in agreement as he pulled the car into their driveway.

I hope she is.

Stepping out of the car, I went to the boot to retrieve my bag as the couple unlocked the house. Their home was spacious and homely, with flower pots lining the windowsills and quaint white shutters and large porch wrapping around the entirety of the house. Various kinds of flowers were blooming in the garden, along with a greenhouse at the far end of the yard. "Is that your greenhouse, Anna?" The blonde woman approached me as I questioned. "Yes it is." She nodded, telling me to follow her. She pushed the door open, and I was immediately welcomed with the delicate fragrance of all the flowers inside. From begonias to carnations, chrysanthemums to dahlias, marigolds to cyclamens, the beautiful flowers filled the place with so much colour it was almost like looking into a kaleidoscope.

But there was one flower that caught my attention almost instantly; an extensive terracotta plant pot with a numerous amount of roses, some red, other pink, yellow and white. Anna noticed me looking at the roses, and spoke up, "These are my favourites. I have to dye some of them for customers, so I always have lots of roses."

After seeing the greenhouse, Anna took me inside, where Norman was making dinner, and already has the table set. "Is there anything I can help with Norman?" I asked as I came to stand beside the man. "Don't worry, Amaya, I've got it all under control. I left your bag upstairs, you can go up and get settled in. I call you down when dinner is ready." Smiling gratefully, I made my way up the stairs to the bedroom Anna and Norman had given me. It was dainty and commodious, with a large bed in the centre of the space. To the left of the bed, there was a large window, allowing me the view of almost the entire town. As I looked out, I saw busy and bustling people going about their daily life, students clad in their navy blue uniform, and for a moment I forgot I was a part of this world too. I had the chance to make a new life for myself, to rewrite my story, because no story is ever truly over until the writes 'the end'.

I snapped out of my daydreaming state as a car pulled up to the house next door, and I saw a couple stepping out, "That's Natalie and Raymond, our neighbours. You'll get to meet them soon." I jolted as Anna spoke from beside me, I must have not heard her knock. "I'm sorry dear, I didn't mean to frighten you. Dinner's ready, let's got down stairs." The woman laughed tenderly as she led me back downstairs. As we reached the kitchen, the delightful smell of tagliatelle al tartufo reached my senses, making me feel warm and fuzzy.

"You know Amaya, Natalie and Raymond went to Sunnycreek with us to adopt a child, I don't know who they brought home, but how about tomorrow after school we invite them over for dinner so you can meet them." Anna smiled cheerfully as I wiped my mouth with a napkin, reciprocating her smile, "That would lovely." Was the only reply I could muster.

Was it Cecilia? Or did they adopt a younger child?

My mind was spinning with the possible children the neighbours could have adopted, but then that melody slipped into my mind. It couldn't be Rigel, could it?