Chapter 2

"What have you done to my ship, you, you rebel vermin." Arrida had almost forgotten about the guard at her side. She drew the gun tucked into her waistband while he continued to shout up to the ship. She pulled the trigger, heard the blast of the gun, and the quick silence that followed.

Arrida turned her attention back to the ship where she could hear Dek swearing in all of the languages he knew. "What do you want?" She called up to the rebel. 

"I would offer you to join the rebellion if I didn't already know you were such a coward." Arrida refused to break under the man's stare, even though the comment raised old wounds. Her only noticeable reaction was a raised eyebrow.

"Look Nortchu, I don't have all day so if you could kindly return my first mate and let us be on our way that would be appreciated. You can take your fancy-ass ship, go do everyone a favor and get the hell out of here."

"I would have to be pretty stupid to just let you go, Arrida. Vankult's goons aren't the only people you gave your position to. You timed your arrival perfectly with a squadron of cargo ships carrying supplies that are going to be attacked tomorrow evening by the Crimson Falcon and several other ships." 

"Sorry," Arrida replied, annoyed and slightly confused, "but I fail to see what this has to do with us." She gestured to herself and Dek, who had stopped swearing and was now glaring daggers at Nortchu.

"In return for the safe release of your companion you will aid us in attacking Vankult's ships."

"And if I refuse?"

"Then I blow out your idiot friend's brains, then your ship. Really I'm being reasonable."

"If I agree," Arrida told him cautiously, "this is a one time thing." She hated that she would do anything to save Dek. 

"Of course," the captain responded smoothly, "I'll send some of my comrades over to your ship, as well. It's only fair, being that I'll keep your friend till the deal is done."

"What happens if the Falcon is hit and you both die?" 

"Oh," he said arrogantly, "you don't need to worry about that, I don't plan on dying."

"No one ever does." Arrida replied darkly.

<> <> <>

The cool desert wind gently kissed Arrida's face as she anxiously waited for the attack to begin. Two of Nortchu's rebels were with her, a woman named Lyn and a man called Kallum. Though she had questioned Nortchu's honesty she knew he wouldn't dare cross her for a while after this. She would blow his ship to smithereens without a second thought. A faint static sound came from the radio. Lyn grabbed it and held it up to her ear.

"Yes, sir. No. Nothing moves on the horizon. Roger. May the land be redeemed." She said, giving the rebel sign off. "Move into position." Lyn ordered. Arrida grumbled mentally. She hated being given orders on her own ship.

Her ship had been hidden behind a large warehouse on the edge of Qisfu. Arrida had spent the previous few hours arguing with Nortchu about the plan of attack. Dek had sat through the whole meeting, not saying a word and being uncharacteristically silent.

Arrida had made sure that Dek was being treated fairly, refusing to even talk to Nortchu without Dek being in the room. She knew how to play the game, keep her cards close, and had learned to play dirty. 

Arrida started her ship, allowing the energy plenty of time to flow through the solar sails so they could be used to the fullest effect. The sun had set about an hour ago, bathing the smooth dunes in a cool, blue color. Arrida's ship and the Falcon were joined by three other rebel fighters. Their targets were small cargo ships carrying supplies and weapons for Vankult's army. Her bright red hair blew in the wind, a banner against the colorless sand.

Nortchu, being the asshole he was, had assigned her ship as bait. Vankult wasn't stupid. He knew the danger of the rebels and as a result had appointed guards for all cargo ships. Arrida knew this first hand. Typically the guards were new and inexperienced but with a load this big and valuable she had no doubt these men would know what they were doing.

All she had to do was to draw the guards away from the ships in, quote, "Whatever way she saw fit," as Nortchu had put it earlier. Arrida had several ideas but only one had seemed like it would work, as well as cause the most damage for both Vankult and the rebels.

Nortchu should have known better than to try and get her to join by threatening her. Arrida was her own woman and only worked with people when she saw fit. And right now it would work to her advantage.