Prologue

Warning: Some chapters occasionally contains strong language that may not be suitable for very young audiences. Please be advised.

****

The Principal's Office was practically my second home, thanks to my frequent visits. I, Caitlyn Acosta, was no stranger to trouble.

As I faced Principal Vivienne Buenviaje's stern gaze, the throbbing ache in my knuckles served as a reminder of the satisfying slap I just gave to my bitch classmate's cheek earlier. Damn, her ugly cries were still ringing in my ears.

Well, hindi naman kasi mangyayari ‘yong ganon if she just kept her mouth shut and stayed out of my fucking sight. Edi sana hindi sya nasa infirmary ngayon. So, I therefore conclude that it's her problem, not mine.

"Miss Acosta, do you have any idea of the trouble you've caused?" Ma'am Buenviaje's voice cut through the air, pinaghalong frustration at disappointment.

I rolled my eyes, barely stopping the urge to scoff. "Oh, Please, like it's the first time someone's had a problem with me," I muttered under my breath.

Ma'am Buenviaje shot me a warning look, but I brushed it off.

She kept on talking, giving me a lecture about the consequences of my action. But just like always, pasok sa kanang tenga, labas sa kaliwa.

However, our conversation was interrupted by a knock at the door, drawing our attention.

In walked Sebastian Villarreal, with a folder clutched tightly in his hands.

Oh God, why now? He was the last person I wanted to see.

He cleared his throat as he approached us, stopping in front of the Principal's desk but keeping a meter distance from me.

Ha! I somehow felt offended. The distance makes it feel na meron akong covid, and he's doing that to avoid being infected by the virus.

Gago ba siya?

"Ma'am, I'm here to submit the proposal for the upcoming festival week," Sebastian announced.

I resisted the urge to snort at his perfect timing, knowing full well na he was here to rub his perfection in my face.

Sebastian was the epitome of everything I wasn't. If I'm the troublemaker, then he's the role model for students. He was the bane of my existence.

He excused himself, at talagang hindi man lang ako tinapunan ng tingin. But before he could make his grand exit, Ma'am Buenviaje intervened.

"Hold on, Mr. Villarreal," she said, taking the folder he placed on her desk, and raising it in the air.

"I'll approve the proposal," she announced, but I could tell there was a but coming.

Sebastian let out a small smile, feeling happy about it. "Really? Then—"

"But, there's a catch," she continued, cutting him off.

This time, his smile vanished entirely.

There will be a Quiz Bee in two months, one of the proposed program for the festival week. It was a battle of the minds between the strands: ABM, STEM, HUMSS, TVL and GAS.

"Sebastian, you'll have to coach Caitlyn for the quiz bee, as she'll be representing ABM from the 12th grade," she declared, her eyes darting between us.

Sebastian's lips tightened, hindi na naitago ang expression sa mukha nya. His disapproval was clearly shown in his face. "With all due respect, Ma'am, I'm not sure that's such a good idea."

I squared my shoulders, meeting his gaze head-on. "Oh, come on, Villarreal. Scared you can't handle a little challenge?"

He shot me a glare. "Do you even understand the topic?"

I rolled my eyes. "Of course, I do. I have ears and a functioning brain, thank you."

"Really?" He smirked. "Then what's your ranking again?"

"You don't have to remind me. I know exactly what you're getting at."

"Exactly. And out of the 120 students in our grade and strand, you're close to rock bottom, Acosta," he said, his words dripping with disdain. "Rank 118th."

I felt a surge of anger bubbling up inside me. I can't help but scoff. How dare he fucking throw my ranking in my face like that? Who does he think he is, acting all high and mighty?

But instead of letting him see how much his words affected me, I plastered on a defiant smirk, masking my annoyance. 

"Well, isn't that just lovely," I retorted, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "Guess I'll have to add winning a quiz bee to my list of things I'm destined to excel at, right after causing trouble and being a thorn in your side, Villarreal."

Damn him and that holier-than-thou attitude of his. I may be ranked near the bottom academically, but I refused to let that define me.

I was more than just a number, more than just a troublemaker. And if that Villarreal thought he could intimidate me into submission, he had another thing coming.

Ma'am Buenviaje sighed, clearly running out of patience. "I'm not interested in hearing a fight in my office. You two will work together, and that's final."

Sebastian and I exchanged a glance, glaring at each other before looking away.

"Oh, and if you fail to win first place in that quiz bee, you both will face consequences you wouldn't want to hear," she added.

I damn for sure knew this partnership was going to be a disaster.

But fuck it all! Tadhana had it out for me, throwing me into this fucked-up mess.

What more could possibly go wrong?

****