Epilogue🎇

5 YEARS LATER

I stare at the picture in front of me and happily click on the "heart" to show I like the post of the friend I follow on Instagram. My mind wanders back to that Christmas dance at Greendale College five years ago where he asked me to be with him. Another guy asked the same question but I didn't have an immediate answer to either. That night after some deep thinking, I said "yes" to myself and kissed the other two goodbye. Well, sort of. 

One guy asked if we could still be friends but through the years it never felt the same.

The other guy I said "no" to was sad but understood. He said he would see me around but with our busy schedules we never really hung out like before. 

Until eighteen months later when we happened to be working at Greendale College at the same time. We reconnected over some coffee, he apologized profusely, as did I. Moreover, I admitted my flaws of not taking his request for boundaries more seriously. Then he pursued me for a few months. 

After a long talk, we were both willing to take responsibility for our past actions and promised to contribute to positive changes in us. We realized both made mistakes in our past relationship and we were sincerely willing to work on ourselves and a new relationship. Personally I believed the issues we had were genuinely addressed and resolved and we were both excited to move forward with a renewed sense of trust and alignment.

My good friend, Lisa, wondered if I was rushing back to him and questioned if I had really reconciled my feelings and accepted that the past was in the past. My answer was a profound yes. When I let him completely back into my life, I was reminded of something he said at the dance.

"Take however much time you need. I'll wait."

For some reason his words sent a fresh ache through my chest. "Why?" I had asked him. No one had ever waited for me. I couldn't fathom why he would.

"Because you're it for me. Whether it's today, tomorrow, a year, or decades from now, that'll never change."

Those parting words burned into my memory and years later made me think about the potential when we had our merry reunion. We promised to enter the process with open eyes and a willingness to address the challenges head-on. After some time apart, we both demonstrated tangible signs of growth and a genuine commitment to change and our reconciled relationship still grows today.

My mom totally approved of our second try at love and said, "One day you'll understand why the timing was perfect and why things had to happen exactly the way they did."

I absolutely agreed that I needed to trust the process of our path, evolution, and growth. It happened to protect us, to guide us, and to redirect us to where we were always meant to be. It was all divine timing.

They say the longer you have to wait for something the more you will appreciate it when it finally arrives. The harder you have to fight for something the more priceless it will become once you achieve it. And the more pain you have to endure on your journey the sweeter the arrival at your destination. All good things are worth waiting for and worth the effort.

He was definitely worth it.

I smile at the guy next to me before reaching across him to access the phone charger next to his side of the bed. As soon as I plug it in, I feel his large hands caress the globes of my bottom over the short shorts of my pajama set.

A soft moan escapes my lips as my eyes close reflexively. When I open them to give him a seductive smirk, his gaze fixes on my barely covered legs lying on his chest. I then blink slowly, observing the dark look of lust in his eyes.