Breaking Friends

Boscha pushed Luz right behind Otabin and yelled "OVER HERE, CREEPO!" before bolting away.

"This is a terrible plan! How is this better than my plan?!" Luz's whispers weren't enough to stop Otabin from finding her and grabbing her.

Otabin let out a quiet chuckle that sounded more like a snarl. "If my friend needs to be taked, then this friend I have to break."

"You fiend! Taked isn't a word!" Luz exclaimed in horror before Otabin held both of her arms apart, like the world's least childproof game of tug-of-war. But before any serious damage can happen, Otabin felt a blast of fire hit him from behind.

"Ha! Looks like... uhh..." Boscha looked away for a split second, thinking. "I got nothing. Burn." 

She kept throwing fire magic at Otabin, causing him to approach her, giving Boscha just the right opportunity to make physical contact with him.

"Whoops." Boscha pouted mockingly as she started engulfing Otabin in flames.

Otabin let out a guttural shriek before slowly melting into ash. Amity sighed of relief but mostly of exhaustion. She still couldn't move her arm as it was still stuck in the page, however. 

Boscha and Luz tried to pull Amity out of the page. "Ow ow ow, hey! Be careful! Careful...!" Amity exclaimed before a large, almost comical 'RRRRRRIP!' sound was heard.

Amity's arm was still stuck in the page, but Amity herself was out of it, leaving her arm completely unattached from her body. 

"Ow..." She groaned.

A combination mostly persisting of "OH MY GOSH, ARE YOU OKAY, I DIDN'T MEAN TO PULL SO HARD" and "OH MY TITAN, WHY DID YOU PULL ON HER SO HARD, YOU HUMANS ALWAYS HAVE TO PUT IN 110% FOR EVERYTHING, DON'T YOU" before Amity sighed out of frustration.

"Can it." Amity said, terse.

 She leaned, grabbed the now empty copy of Otabin, and limped over to the doors of the Forbidden Stacks (cough cough, that area that Luz and Amity went to in Through the Looking Glass ruins, cough cough) and slid the copy under the doors. 

After a prolonged silence, the doors rattled, and a fresh new copy of Otabin came out. It hadn't even been opened yet. Amity sighed while skimming through it to make sure nothing came out wrong. "I'm gonna miss you, Otabin 1.0..."

Luz felt the need to question what was going on and why replacing the book was in any way a significant event, but she felt she could reserve her questions til later. After all, she wasn't the one who lost an arm. 

Was it painless...? There's no blood, but that doesn't mean it might not still hurt... I could ask her about it- NO, she'll not want to talk about it. Maybe we should just go home... maybe I should stop trying to befriend her. I've already hurt her sanity and now I made her lose an arm. What's next, her eye's gonna be poked out? God, why am I always such a-

"Human." Amity put her hand on Luz's shoulder. "You've got... um." She gestured to her face, and it was only then that Luz had realized that tears were forming in the corners of her eyes.

Luz quickly wiped her eyes and displayed a smile. "Sorry, sorry! Today's just been an eventful day! Haha!"

Amity stared at her with a look of both concern and enervation. She looked at Boscha briefly, who obviously gave her a 'what the heck are you doing' look, before turning back to Luz.

"Amity. Amity Blight." Amity stared at Luz for a couple seconds and cleared her throat when it was obvious she didn't get it. "And... you are?"

Luz mouthed an 'oh' before responding. "Luz. Luz Noceda."

"Luz?" Amity hummed. "That's..." She couldn't think of a compliment, given the circumstances, which Luz understood wordlessly.

"I promise I won't... I promise I won't try to intrude anymore." Luz told Amity with sincerity in her voice. "You deserve better. I'm sorry."

Amity couldn't find it in herself to respond, so she glanced at Boscha who promptly took over the conversation.

"I'll be walking her home, thank you very much." Boscha sneered. "See you never, 'Luz'-er."

Boscha wrapped her arms around Amity and walked her home, not without glaring at Luz the whole time she was walking away.

A couple minutes after leaving the library, Boscha sighed. "Amity?"

"I'm not gonna blame it on you, Bosch." Amity answered.

"No, not that, it's..." For what felt like the first time in her life, Boscha was unsure about herself. "Amity, we're friends, right?"

Amity was surprised but replied without missing a beat. "Yeah, of course."

"I mean, yeah, obviously we're friends, duh, but like..." Boscha's eyes, similar to her mind, were struggling to focus. "We're school friends. We and the rest of the 'school squad' hang out only sometimes after school. Other than that... how close are we? How close are we, as in, me and you, not as a collective 'for the gang', I mean."

Amity struggled to make a retort, mostly due to the fact she had never seen Boscha so... vulnerable. "...Do you want the honest answer?"

Boscha nodded, a solemn 'mhm' barely hearable.

"Before... I kind of just saw you as a..." Amity hesitated, but Boscha beckoned for her to go on, so she did. "Just a nuisance for me, honestly."

Boscha felt stung by her words but not too surprised. "Yeah. Yeah, I... kind of figured, since..." Boscha was going to continue but couldn't find any words.

Amity stared at Boscha for a few more seconds. "You've changed, though." 

Boscha looked at Amity with shock. "Wh-what?" Boscha sputtered out.

"You know, you've become... well, not mature, but you're learning to hone in your anger on less destructive things. Which is... better." Amity admitted.

Boscha didn't know how to take the compliment.

...So she decided she wasn't going to.

"Pffft, are you KIDDING? You think this is 'change'!?" Boscha let out a compact chuckle. "I'm the same Boscha I always was, friends or not! No 'mushy-wushy talk' with my 'friend' is going to change that! I'm ruthless! I am Boscha Tribuscotch, and you can't and will never change that!"

Amity looked at Boscha, mostly unsurprised. "Your last name is Tribuscotch?"

"Yeah. What of it? I don't tell you everything!" Boscha then scoffed and continued walking, deciding it was the end of the conversation.

Amity rolled her eyes and decided to follow behind, aiming to get home as soon as possible. She settled on ignoring the pain, as hard as it was to do. After all, her parents could just make a prosthetic arm for her. Even if it was near unbearable... she wasn't bleeding, right?

'I've been through worse," Amity told herself. 'I can't give in to it now.'

All while Luz had to walk her way home with nothing but her self-deprecating thoughts to keep her company. What a night.