Back To The Market!

Eda, after saying goodbye to Luz and trusting her with the sanctity of the Owl House, leaves to scavenge the Night Market with King in tow.

"Monoplegic Paramedics... Monoplegic Paramedics..." Eda said, looking for the stand Morton directed her to hours prior. "Hey, that rhymes." Eda said to herself.

"I don't think it rhymes. I think you're just pronouncing 'Monopl-EHgic' wrong." King said, sarcastically pronouncing it the same way Eda did.

"Oh, put a sock in it, you-" Eda cut herself off after finding the stand she was looking for. 

'Monoplegic Paramedics'. This was the place.

"Uh, hello?" Eda asked, her voice slightly echoing. She looked into the stand, and the lights turned on, seemingly empty.

Suddenly, a witch popped up from the counter. Her skin was blood red and she had goat-like eyes, carrying a genuine smile wider than it should realistically be, considering the circumstances. She was around half Eda's height. Her hair was black, messy with a plaid bandana struggling to keep it straight. Her outfit was patchwork, covered with an array of muted yellows and greens. Aside from a few things, she looked about as mundane as a witch might get on the Boiling Isles.

"Good evenin', missy!" She beamed, a mild southern accent evident in her voice. "To what do I owe you the pleasure?"

Eda blinked, somewhat surprised. The woman had a look of mild confusion on her face. "What's wrong, hon?"

"Sorry, I was just... you don't seem like the type of person to work the night market." Eda clarified, not as stunned as she was a few seconds ago.

"Ha, well, I gotta make money somehow, don't I?" The woman chuckled to herself. "The name's Iridia Persephone! But you can call me Irisse." She grabbed a few potions and baubles and set them onto the front counter. "So, what do you need? Some sort of tranquilizer for that rat-monkey thing?" She pointed towards King.

"You take that back!" King angrily pointed back.

Eda thought about what Morton told her to say, and then replied. "I'm looking for the warlock's dowel."

Irisse's face turned serious, her smile evaporating near instantaneous. She nodded and gestured for Eda to go inside her stand, closing the curtain as she went inside.

Irisse brought her to the back of her stand, where shelves and shelves of potions towered above both of them. "Summoned a demon, huh? Those are no joke. Heard stories about side effects, diseases, just awful stuff. Did they... follow you?"

Eda thought about it for a while. "Well, it's not for me," she explained, "It's for my... uh, my friend."

"Friend, hm? Must be real tightly knit if you know about their troubles." Irisse pondered to herself.

"She's... a human." Irisse's eyes widened as she looked at Eda, intrigued. "One thing led to another, and now I'm kind of her caretaker. Temporarily. She has a human life with human parents, probably." Eda said, nonchalantly waving off her own concerns about her life in the human world.

"I see..." said Irisse, deep in thought. "Never had a situation like this, I'm afraid. I can't ensure that any of my tonics will work on her." She climbed a ladder up to a shelf near the top, and looked at Eda, waiting for her to elaborate on the situation. So she did.

"One day, she made an everlasting oath this Amity brat saying that if she loses, she has to stop learning how to be a witch forever." Irisse looked mildly confused. "...Which is her life-long dream." Irisse mouthed an 'ohh' and beckoned for Eda to go on.

Eda hesitated before continuing. "So, I suggested she make a deal with this 'Bill Cipher' guy to win the bet, and-" Before Eda could continue, Irisse cut her off. "Bill Cipher!? I've had clients come in here before just because of him." She seemed to detest the triangular tormentor.

"Listen, if Bill is anything, he's smart. If he's already gotten his 'favor' from your human, and she manages to survive it-" Irisse paused. "-which she probably will, don't worry-" And continued. "-then my potions will work for her then. Otherwise, it'd only temporarily remedy a currently unsolvable problem."

Irisse eyed a potion full of a green substance labeled 'GREEN, MEAN, AND CLEAN" before bringing it down to Eda. "Here. When it happens, which it will, this will cure what ails her."

Eda grabbed the bottle and put it in her pocket. "How much?"

"Oh, it's on the house, hon." Irisse explained. "You only need to pay if the potion works on the human. That's the Irisse guarantee!" She chimed, grinning widely. 

"Thank you so much! You're a fallen angel." Eda complimented, before leaving her 50 snails. "As a tip."

"Oh no, I couldn't accept this..." Irisse said, flustered. "You'll need to pay around 450 snails for the actual thing, really, you don't need to do this."

"It's a gesture of kindness. I can take it back from you any time." Eda exclaimed, putting her hand next to the 50 snails as if she was going to take it back.

"Well, if you insist." She took the snails and put them in her purse. "Wouldn't want you to get in any trouble now, would we?"

Eda laughed a little before heading back to the Owl House. But before she could leave, Irisse continued. "Oh, and one more thing?"

Eda looked back at Irisse. "I live at 421 Fortality Boo-levard. Come over if you wanna have a cup of tea sometime." Irisse winked and Eda smirked gently at her before turning around and heading back to the Owl House.

"She was nice." Eda said to herself. "What?! She called me a rat-monkey! This is blasphemy! Blasphemy, I tell you!" King exclaimed, frustrated.

"Oh, quiet, you." Eda walked closer and closer to the Owl House.

King sulked for a little before getting out of his funk. "You think Luz went behind your back and had a moonlight conjuring?"

"No." Eda reassured him, eyes closed. "What makes you say that?"

King pointed forward. "The house is gone."

Eda's eyes snapped open, and lo and behold, the Owl House was nowhere to be found. All she could muster at the sight of this was a deadpan "What."

A few seconds passed by before Eda screamed out into the darkness, arms raised. "LUZ! HOOTY! WHERE THE HECK DID THE OWL HOUSE GO!?"