ix. judge, jury, executioner

chapter nine

RED.

Anastasia Atwood had never realized how truly red blood was until she tripped onto her boyfriend, who lay lifeless on the ground.

Her first instinct, for whatever reason, was to place her hands over his wound in an attempt to patch him back together.

Stas is a very smart girl, but logic goes out the window when faced with terror. Her incoherent mumbles were replaced with screams for help as tears began to stream down her face and crimson began to coat her body.

"Help! Help! Somebody help me!"

Clarke rushed to where Stas kneeled beside Wells.

"Oh my god, what happened!?" Clarke says as she drops to her knees. Stas can hardly speak.

"I. . . I don't. . ."

"What happened? Are you okay?" Bellamy's booming voice echoes through Stas' ears as she watches Clarke attempting to save Wells.

"He's still alive, help me get him to the dropship!" Clarke demands frantically. Finn and a few others move to grab Wells. His shirt was blood-soaked.

Stas stumbles into someone behind her dizzily.

"Stas? Stas, can you hear me?"

It was Bellamy calling for her, but she could hardly hear him. Her vision went spotty as she gravity tugged her down, Bellamy's arms wrapped around her before she could smack the dirt.

"Shit."

───

As Stas woke up, she felt a damp cloth being gently pressed to her forehead. She opens her eyes to see Octavia hovering over her.

"Morning, sunshine," the girl says with a sympathetic smile.

Stas observes her surroundings. She wasn't sure when or how, but she somehow made it in the dropship.

For a moment, Stas had forgotten what had happened. When it came back to her, her heart sank.

"Wells, Wells, is he—"

"He's alive. Clarke says you found him just after it happened. If it had been any longer. . . the point is, he's alive."

Octavia helps Stas sit upright beside her.