iv. wildfire

chapter four

WELLS CARRIES LOGS OF FIREWOOD, piling them up near where Anastasia sits casually

"Find any water yet?" A voice asks.

"No, not yet, but. . . " Wells turns to see Murphy and Mbege eyeing him, "I'm going back out if you want to come," he tries to be polite, but falls short as his eyes drift to the poorly written words on the drop ship wall.

FIRST SON
FIRST TO DYE

Stas tilts her head, wondering if it'd make more sense from another angle.

Murphy chuckles, before becoming serious.

"You know, my father, he begged for mercy in the airlock chamber when your father floated him."

Stas chews the inside of her cheek uncomfortably. Did these people really blame Wells for his father's decisions?

"You spelled die wrong, geniuses," Wells pushes past them, taking Stas' hand in his and gently pulling her with him.

"You know," Murphy grabs Stas' wrist, "You're lucky that you've got your little guardian angel with you. . ." he looks past Stas and at Wells, who moves between the two, staring down at Murphy intimidatingly.

Anastasia observes quietly.

Murphy's hurt had manifested into anger. On the ground, the only person around to blame is Wells or himself, clearly he chooses to blame Wells.

He was just as scared as the rest of them.

"Let go of her," Wells says with a low voice.

Surprisingly, Murphy released Stas' wrist. Wells is quick to take her away from the situation.

"But she won't always be with you! Watch your back, Jaha!"

───

The rest of the hundred gathered around the fire that Wells and Stas had started as the two watch from a distance. When a circle gathers and cheers begin to sound, their curiosity gets the best of them.

Stas helps Wells as he limps beside her, gently pushing through the crowd. Delinquents were lined up to meet Murphy and Mbege, who were removing people's wristbands. Bellamy stood beside them.

"What the hell are you doing?" Wells asks. Stas wearily walks behind him.

"We're liberating ourselves. What does it look like?" Bellamy responds.

"It looks like you're trying to get us all killed! The communication system is dead, these wristbands are all we've got," Wells addresses the crowd, "If you take them off, the Ark will think we're dying."