1

"Bhai, come on, put on something better. We need to make a better impression. First impression always matters."

"Look Golu. Firstly, it is not my date but yours..."

Saurabh cut me off "I know, but she is bringing her friend too. Who knows you might have a shot with her."

"Secondly, this dress is enough to catch people's attention."

"I hate you Bhai."

"Love you Golu."

  * * *

The café in Hauz Khas village, where Saurabh was yet to meet her date, is pretty popular.

By the time we reached there, it was bursting with people. I scanned to find an empty table, while Golu dragged me through the crowd.

After few minutes of dragging and apologizing to people, we finally reached an empty table, where only a girl was sitting and probably surfing on the internet.

"You are late, Saurabh," the girl said, after putting her phone aside.

While the two young date shared their first intimate moment of hugging each other, I scanned the crowd for her best friend, who at that moment was nowhere to be found. I was about to give up on my search quest when a cry of "Chor! Chor! Pakdo Koi Usko!" broke out and people rushed out of the café. 

Outside ,after pushing through the crowds the scene that welcomed me was also the one which will be forever etched in my memory. The woman whose bag was stolen was standing at a side clutching her bag while the thief a guy of my age was being brutally beaten by a girl with occasional hindi abuses.

        ***

The waiter placed the mug of streaming hot coffee in front of us and left. The girl was beating a a guy few minutes ago was sitting in front of me talking to Saurabh's date. Ahh well here is her long awaited best friend.  I observed her closely. With her short raven hair she looked fiercely bold and her face glowed without any makeup. All of this thoughts were rushing into my head when Saurabh's voice brought me back to reality.

"Let me introduce you all." He began by pointing towards me. "This is Keshav, my buddy. And Keshav meet my love Mumtaz and her friend umm can I have your name please madam?"

She placed her cup down. " Banhi. Banhi Ganguly" She held out her hands towards me to shake.

"Your hand is bleeding" I blurted out before I could have stopped myself.

She frowned as her eyes followed mine to the bleeding wound at her elbow. "Damn ..Do anyone of you have handkerchief ...I think I dropped mine during the fight"

I voluntarily offered mine. God I am doomed. That's when Saurabh took the lead.

"Keshav how could you do it ...Banhi you must return it to Keshav. It holds lots of memories for him" Damn Golu. I hate you

She looked awkwardly at me and the handkerchief in her hand. 

"Keshav why don't you exchange so that Banhi can return it late ?" Saurabh nudged me playfully.

With much awkwardness numbers were exchanged.