Chapter 11

As Alex looks up from the ground, his hands slung loosely in his pockets, our eyes meet, and for a moment his hard expression falters. I raise one eyebrow questioningly, our eyes interlocked, and the side of his mouth raises in response. I must have misread him earlier, he's just as shameless and unfazed as ever. Dominic's words bring me back to the present.

"Have you met my son, Alexander?" (Alex's eyes roll) "He's just joined your school..." starts Domenic, but he's clearly trying to read my face, which I would imagine is pretty disdainful at the moment. Dominic continues "forgive him if he's a little, anti-social" at this Dominic pats his son on the back, though it's less of a pat and more of a smack, and Alex huffs, "he's still finding his feet in a new town."

I look away from Alex, suddenly aware my eyes hadn't left his beautiful face, and smile plainly at this father "no, actually, I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Alexander yet." I say Alexander almost mockingly, not enough for Dominic to notice but hopefully enough to annoy Alex just the slightest.

Our feigned pleasantries continue, and I agreeably converse with the Allens to appease my father's watchful eye, until finally Dominic draws a chair for Alex where he reluctantly sits, by the table in the gazebo, and he dully shuffles our cards until his parents leave.

I smile, smile, smile at my Mom and Mr Allen, and once they've gone kick Alex under the table, hard.

"Ow, what the hell?!" Yelps Alex, and Vivi eyes me curiously but continues playing with her dolls. That's my girl. I whisper to Alex, "wow, I didn't realise busboys with dreams of making it big were part of the Allen family, oh what humble beginnings you've come from, Alexander" I drag out his name now quite openly mockingly but unfortunately all Alex does is smile, that enticing sharp toothed smile of his.

"Fine, I lied, guilty!" He says loudly, banging on the table like a judge with a gavel, and I grab his hand to stop him with a disapproving glare and a "Shh!" Until he slowly looks down at my hand - perfectly manicured with a stack of gold rings - on top of his, and he smirks. "Oh and by the way, I know you think you're rich calling me Alexander, but it's kinda hot from your mouth." He says huskily, looking down suggestively at my lips, and I already know my face is heating up.

"Oh would you quit it". I say, snatching my hand off his and folding my arms under my chest.

"What's wrong Vieve, I thought you liked it when I flirted with you, or did I imagine you throwing yourself at me at the party?"

To this my face goes redder, but with anger. "FIRST of all, only my friends call me Vieve, and you, and I,  we will never be friends. And second of all, I didn't throw myself at you since, if I remember correctly, you're the one who picked me up, carried me across the room and KISSED ME FIRST!" I hiss, getting a little worked up.

I wait for Alex's reaction, but the heat of the moment passes and he's only chuckling slightly. After a moment's pondering, he says, "I like getting you all worked up". And with that, he stands up, takes a cigarette out of his pocket, lights it, and leaves.

With a final glance back, he looks at me slowly up and down in that familiar way which makes me all self aware, and says.

"Oh, and you're right, Genevieve. We'll never be just friends."